help force carbing root beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jake22si

Reaction score
I'm new to the kegging world, soda making and will only be making soda, mostly root beer, maybe some moxie, cream soda. I am a little confused on how to force carb.
Could someone please run through the steps, to the quickest way and maybe the proper way to force carb my root beer?
I just received my 3 gallon keg kit from midwest supplies, and root beer extract.
I made the mix, threw it in the keg, added 40 psi shook and rolled it around, shut off co2, and its in the fridge now. I got excited and forgot to chill first.
Also only have about 5' of 3/16" line. Think I can get away with 1/4" id on those fittings only because lowes has 20' sections of that available.
Just wanted to add that I have been researching this for a few weeks now and am still confused, seems there may be many different ways to go about it.

Soda has a higher carb level than beer- I carb my root beer at 30 psi. To dispense, to balance that 30 psi, it takes like 25 feet of 3/16" tubing.

I don't turn the gas off (it needs to be on to keep the soda carbed).

whats the quickest way to get it to be ready to drink and fully carbed up? I heard of it being done in a few hours, but thats all I got.

whats the quickest way to get it to be ready to drink and fully carbed up? I heard of it being done in a few hours, but thats all I got.

I've never had good luck with "burst carbing"- that is getting it ready quicker by turning up the gas more and shaking it. Many do, though, so you could definitely try that if you're willing to give that a shot. You could check in the "kegging" area of the beer forum, as many beer kegging techniques are the same except for the higher pressures with soda.

It's getting there, I'm gonna make some cream and am going to try carbing the water first and see how that works out.

OK, so I carbed up some soda water and made some rainbow brand cream. Its FANTASTIC. My rootbeer is still a little flat. I have 30' of 3/16 on my rootbeer and only 6 on the cream. I was going to buy another 30' for the cream but my local shop was out. Can I stick with the 6 footer on the cream? And carbing up the water first is the way to go from my experience

Update, carbed the water first then added root beer mix, wicked awesome. Not flat at all. Much quicker this way also

Update, carbed the water first then added root beer mix, wicked awesome. Not flat at all. Much quicker this way also

Just be careful when you add the mix, it'll do some serious foaming up, so don't do it on the rug.

Back