Help finding potable hot water garden hose

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hopper5000

Reaction score
Hey All,

I recently moved and my new brewing setup allows me to attach a garden type hose to my kitchen sink and do all my cleaning outside. However, after a few brews I realized that the potable garden hose I got isn't rated for hot water as it came apart.

I have only found one hose that was rated for hot water but isn't for potable use. I know that bad chemicals can get leached from these hoses and I don't want that on my brewing equipment.

Anyone have any ideas, and/or am I being overly paranoid about the hose that's rated for hot water but not potable?

Make your own out of silicon hose. Just be careful of pressure, it is not strong. You could use braid vinyl. Not sure the temp rating

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Element-1-2-in-x-25-ft-RV-and-Marine-Water-Hose-ELMRV12025FM/100175856?keyword=rv+hose#.Ui6HFMZjvlU

3a08b373-07c4-46f6-be65-a8acf1eb627a_300.jpg

Make your own out of silicon hose. Just be careful of pressure, it is not strong. You could use braid vinyl. Not sure the temp rating

Silicone hose is available braided as well and it's probably the ideal choice for potable hot water at plumbing pressures that you could expect to encounter (ie 40-120 PSI). But it's relatively expensive...

How long of a hose do you need, OP?

Polypropylene or polyethylene (PEX) would be cheapest. If you've got money reinforced silicone or norprene. If you're just using the water for washing and not drinking I'd say don't even worry about it.

Since you said cleaning and hot water, why do you need potable water? I use a regular garden hose on the exit from my CFC to transfer hot water used for cleaning bottles and brewing related stuff. Very little water remains on things when they drip dry.

Since you said cleaning and hot water, why do you need potable water? I use a regular garden hose on the exit from my CFC to transfer hot water used for cleaning bottles and brewing related stuff. Very little water remains on things when they drip dry.

Yeah, I only caught that afterwards. I use braided vinyl hoses that I built for this particular application. If I was using the same water source for my brewing liquor though, I'd be using braided silicone instead.

The RV hose above is the one I was using that failed after about 3 uses.

I need about 25FT to get where I need it. I was under the impression that the silicon hoses from the HBS would not hold pressure very well. The braided is an interesting idea though. How much are we talking on cost?

The reason I want a potable hose is because I will be using it on my brewing equipment and I don't want to be spraying it with chemicals from the hose and then later using it to brew, as a bit of the water/residue/chemicals will dry onto my equipment and carboys. Am I being over cautious on this aspect?

I was reading about chemicals leeching out of garden hoses and I would assume that even the one garden hose I found that was rated for pressure and hot water leaks a bit.

I was at homedepot yesterday and asked the guy if a potable hot water hose existed and he said no, I kinda gave him this stupefied look but I guess most hot water flows through pipes... The did have that braded silicone in there I believe, but maybe the guy wasn't the brightest light-bulb in the store.

The RV hose above is the one I was using that failed after about 3 uses.

I need about 25FT to get where I need it. I was under the impression that the silicon hoses from the HBS would not hold pressure very well. The braided is an interesting idea though. How much are we talking on cost?

The reason I want a potable hose is because I will be using it on my brewing equipment and I don't want to be spraying it with chemicals from the hose and then later using it to brew, as a bit of the water/residue/chemicals will dry onto my equipment and carboys. Am I being over cautious on this aspect?

I was reading about chemicals leeching out of garden hoses and I would assume that even the one garden hose I found that was rated for pressure and hot water leaks a bit.

I was at homedepot yesterday and asked the guy if a potable hot water hose existed and he said no, I kinda gave him this stupefied look but I guess most hot water flows- through pipes... The did have that braded silicone in there I believe, but maybe the guy wasn't the brightest light-bulb in the store.

Last I saw, 1/2" braided silicone was selling for about $7.00/ft....like I said, not cheap.

However, yes I do feel you are probably being way overly-cautious and that braided vinyl should be sufficient for mere cleaning water.

I vote for paranoid. I looked through Mcmaster-carrs list of hose available and you should probably define "hot." They don't have anything for potable water over 150 degrees.

Here's an idea. Use a hose that will stand up to the heat and then rinse with an RV hose with cold water when you are done if you are concerned. Or don't worry about it. You aren't stewing hot water in the hose and then making baby formula with it.

Old thread, but I've been looking for the same. Want to use the same hose for brewing liqour and hot-water cleaning. Just connect to either cold or hot pipes in the wall. I think the best choice is going to be:

http://www.mcmaster.com/#52375k34/=tc4mq4

It's rated to 150F, 200PSI, and is FDA compliant. It's also cheap.

I use this

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004ME11FS/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

with this

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0006IX87S/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

been using this setup about twice a month for the passed two years. it's starting to leak a little at the threads but it's not bothersome yet. got it all at walmart. was my only water source until 6 months ago. for minerally styles i use all tap water straight from this filter. for lagers/belgians and beers fussy about water I treat a case of distilled with gypsum and cacl.

great setup for chlorine removal on city systems.

Last edited by a moderator:
I use this

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004ME11FS/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

with this

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0006IX87S/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

been using this setup about twice a month for the passed two years. it's starting to leak a little at the threads but it's not bothersome yet. got it all at walmart. for minerally style i use all tap water straight from this filter. for lagers/belgians and beers fussy about water I treat a case of distilled with gypsum and cacl.

I'm guessing you don't run any hot through it? That was the challenging thing about this hose.

Last edited by a moderator:
I do. Take the filter off and put a nozzle on and use it to clean everything. Biggest issue is the plastic threading on the one side.

The PVC hoses do not last, and are actually bad for you since the hot water dissolves the bad chemicals.
I use a dedicated hot water hose, but I don't use it for potable water.
I would go with reinforced silicone:
http://www.midwestsupplies.com/tubing.html

The hose I linked was USDA, FDA, NSF, and 3-A dairy and food certified. I would not be worried about bad chemicals.

Why wouldn't it last? It's rated to 150F, at least 10F over residential hot water, and hopefully something like 20-30F higher.

Reinforced silicone is stupid expensive. I'm looking for 25ft. That's ~$200 vs. $27. It could break 8 times before it would make sense to get silicone.

The hose I linked was USDA, FDA, NSF, and 3-A dairy and food certified. I would not be worried about bad chemicals.

Why wouldn't it last? It's rated to 150F, at least 10F over residential hot water, and hopefully something like 20-30F higher.

Reinforced silicone is stupid expensive. I'm looking for 25ft. That's ~$200 vs. $27. It could break 8 times before it would make sense to get silicone.

Vinyl Chloride is a carcinogen. Period.
The placticisers used to make it flexible are usually phthalates. I don't know what is in the PVC you linked (doesn't say, Hmmm), but the fact that the USDA says it's safe does not give me a warm and fuzzy feeling.
When I said the PVC hoses don't last, I specifically meant the potable RV hoses (also potable PVC)... they pretty much determinate and explode at temps above 120F.

I believe this may be over analysed. First off you could use a much smaller length of hose from you chiller to get hot water to clean you equipment. But more importantly if you are rinsing with water after cleaning it, you are diluting any chemicals that may have leeched off. Rinse well enough and there should not be any left.

You could also cut down on the amount of hose you need by grabbing some cpvc and some unions. Then you would just need to get the hose out of the door to your piping and then have a hose on the other end. Of course I don't know the logistics of your setup, so that may be easier said than done.

The placticisers used to make it flexible are usually phthalates. I don't know what is in the PVC you linked (doesn't say, Hmmm), but the fact that the USDA says it's safe does not give me a warm and fuzzy feeling.
When I said the PVC hoses don't last, I specifically meant the potable RV hoses (also potable PVC)... they pretty much determinate and explode at temps above 120F.
I've run my camco hose off of a showerhead pipe using adapters from lowes when I couldn't be outside. Didn't explode. I think you're too worried about things.

Isn't the water in millions of houses flowing through PVC pipes?

i think most of it is cpvc, at least for hot water, and not just standard pac

also my above comment assumes you would rinse with cold water.

I've run my camco hose off of a showerhead pipe using adapters from lowes when I couldn't be outside. Didn't explode. I think you're too worried about things.

I have a dedicated hot water hose bib ran out to my brewery. My "RV hose" eventually exploded and when I examined it, the inner wall had become separated from the outer reinforced wall in several areas. They are simply not made for hot water.
Since I don't use mine for potable water (only cleaning), I have moved to this with great results: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Apex-5-8...r-Commercial-Hot-Water-Hose-8695-25/202900081

Yes, I know PVC isn't used for hot. But I'm not going to be drinking the hot, only the cold.
Who cares what you want to do.
The OP has asked about potable hot water hose. For that application silicone is the only hose I would use.
For hot non-potable water, a rubber hose rated for hot water is all that is needed.

You can plumb your house with whatever you want... personally, I prefer copper.

Back