Help figuring out HERMS

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daytondb

Reaction score
I acquired what I believe is a HERMS setup for a great deal. It is missing the coils in the HLT but I am confused on how this runs. Here is the pic of the HLT. I get where it it would recirculate but why are there 3 ports and why are there 3 valves on the rig? I also have quick connect tubing for the connections. The owner is not around to ask. ImageUploadedByHome Brew1410108908.374629.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1410108924.034833.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1410108942.948588.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

This is what the whole system looks like. ImageUploadedByHome Brew1410109133.442858.jpg the mash tun has a valve at the bottom.

For the HLT, the coil must have gone between the outside two ports, and the hot liquor was circulated by drawing from the bottom valve and returning through the middle port with the whirlpool tube.

222562d1410108906-help-figuring-out-herms-imageuploadedbyhome-brew1410108908.374629.jpg

As for the valves, I have no clue. Knowing what's in the black box might help.

[edit] Ok, if the black box thing is a pump then this starts to make sense.
The pex from the pump connects to the manifold with the three valves.
The valve closest to the HLT is likely the return to the middle port, that would close the recirculation loop.
Then one of the other two valves would be plumbed to the MLT and the third to the BK.

That is, if the black box is in fact a pump...

Cheers!

I was told by the wife it was used to brew. Forgot to mention there is a pump in the black box. Thanks for the help.

I connected the way I think they would go. This system is way beyond my skill level I'm still rather green when it comes to brewing. ImageUploadedByHome Brew1410138262.137315.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1410138276.662977.jpg

Dumb question what's BK short for?

Boil Kettle.

Go back to my earlier response, I was in the middle of editing it when you responded. What you have there is definitely Not It...

Cheers!

What did you pay for it? That's a pretty nice system, and although it's kind of complicated, I'm sure if you went through a mock brew using just water, you'll figure it out.

$260!!!!! Couldn't pass it up. Once in a lifetime deal. I just don't know much about HERMs.

Look up a HERMS process diagram and things should become more self explanitory.

There should be two ports on the mash tun if he was running it right.

Back