HELP: Fermenting in a Sanke Keg, using s standard Sanke tap

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DansBrew

Reaction score
Hey guys, I did a lot of looking around on the internet, and HBT long before I posted here.

I was given an old Sanke keg and I would really like to turn it into a fermenter. I've seen a lot of posts about people putting tri clamps and what nots on their sanke kegs. I'm interested in doing it without buying any extra parts. I have a spare tap, and some gas and beer fittings.

Does anyone out there know of any way to ferment using a tap in lieu of a bung stopper, tri clamp, or anything like that? I don't want to actually damage the keg. Except maybe shorten the spear(I have extras) for siphoning/ pressured transfer. A lot of the posts I've come across are years old at this point. Lets see if anyone got experimental in the last couple years...

Help me out folks!

Thanks.
Dan

Edit**Sorry for typo in title. Read my signature and you'll understand**

I use a carboy cap for fermenting then put the shortened spear in to transfer to the corny kegs and carb

You get a tight enough seal with that? Is that one of the things with the holes for an airlock and a dip tube? Is it one size fits all?

You get a tight enough seal with that? Is that one of the things with the holes for an airlock and a dip tube? Is it one size fits all?

yes don't try a stopper or bung you will not get a tight seal, the carboy cap has to be streched a bit but it seals fine I do 10 gal batches and the sanke keg fermenter works great for me. I just transfered a batch of cream of three crops to corny kegs for carbing yesterday and it works great :rockin:

yes don't try a stopper or bung you will not get a tight seal, the carboy cap has to be streched a bit but it seals fine I do 10 gal batches and the sanke keg fermenter works great for me. I just transfered a batch of cream of three crops to corny kegs for carbing yesterday and it works great :rockin:

Just to clarify, you're using a shortened spear to pressure transfer, using the sanke tap... but fermenting with a carboy cap, Right?

How much did you take off of the spear to avoid transferring the trub?

If yes, are you using a blow off tube or an airlock?

How much krausen gunk are you getting in the keg headspace, if you know? Basically, are you able to do more than 10 gallons in a non modified sanke keg?

Thanks so much for the response!

Back