Help! Experiment went south, too much sugar and now cider is blah!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cider4Life

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Ok, I was convinced by my all too adventurous brother to try and up my brown sugar added to my cider, from 2 lbs to just under 3. Everything else was kept the same. Raspberry puree based cider, 5 gallons, carboy started, racked to a corny keg, carbonated to 12lbs. End result... no beautiful red color, no perfect dry taste with a hint of raspberry on the nose... just a blah tasting, hint of ethanol on the nose, colorless cider. ABV a little over 9 right now. How can I make this palatable? Can I salvage it? Only thing I have heard of was to somehow add frozen apple juice and kill the yeast? Does this work? I have not killed the yeast yet, usually drink it too fast for that to be an issue. Thanks in advance. Weeping for my sad cider...

Do you live in a cold zone? You could freeze off a bit of the water to concentrate the flavors.

My vote would be for stabilize (kill the yeast with potassium metabisulfite) then sweeten with FAJC, or whatever type of juice you'd like to use...now that I think about it, a Cranberry, Apple Raspberry cider might be just what I need to get going for Thanksgiving... Cheers!

Ah, never thought of a cran-apple cider combo... cheers, will try and get back to you on that one! Cheers!

If you haven't tried stabilizing already I fear I may have given you some misleading information. Give this link a quick read and it will explain how to stabilize cider in the first response. Cheers!

Good news, I ended up adding two cans of frozen 100% apple juice concentrate to what was approximately 4.4 gal of cider; left it for 3 days to recarbinate in the fridge at 12psi and wow! What a difference! It wasn't just drinkable, it was really quite decent. Cheers to backsweetening as a resecue method.

Thanks all!

Back