Help - dry hopping DFH 90 IPA???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bbriscoe

Reaction score
I found a recipe and brewed a Dogfish head 90 last night. But what I can't find is how long to ferment and when and how to add the dry hops. Do I just drop them all in today?

So just drop them all in there right before bottling? Seems like they would get into the bottles that way.

I kegged some DFH90 almost 2 weeks ago and have been enjoying it recently. Good stuff.

When I made the 90 I just dry hopped by droping them in (either leaf or pellet - leaf in my case) after fermentation has ceased as the others indicated. You can bag them but I don't.

I swirled the BB carboy daily for the first few days to make certain the leaf was saturated with the wort for full flavor. I also do this with pellet but it is not as important as with leaf.

I put a bag around the bottom of my steel racking cane when transferring to keg to keep the gunk out. Slow but works pretty well. Montanaandy

My dry hopping method: Around day 6 of fermentation (when its slowing down, almost finished) I throw in loose pellets and give a quick swirl. Then coat with a blanket of CO2 and let sit at fermentation temp. After a few days I might rouse it with CO2 if the swirling of the carboy isn't enough to get even dispersion.

This all happens in my fermentation chamber (gutted minifridge), so I just turn the fridge on after a week to cold crash it. Most of the hops drop, then I rack to the keg with gelatin to clear the rest.

If you don't have CO2 or the fridge, just drop the hops in and wait for them to settle. If you're stressed about having clear beer you can use a bag and/or whole hops. Also if you don't have CO2 I think its a good idea to throw the hops in when there's still a bit of fermentation left to do, as the positive pressure will help prevent oxidation of the beer.

Good luck!

Back