HELP: Drastic temp drop with my lager

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beeramI

Reaction score
Hi,
I am doing my first lager. It was brewed last week:mug. I had it in my keezer at 52 (the 904 Mexican yeast said between 50-55). 7 days after brewing I decided to paint my keezer's wooden collar and left the top open overnight to let the paint dry. When I got up this morning the temp was low thirties. I'm bringing the temp back up to 52. Should I transfer to a secondary and add more yeast? Any tips or guidance are appreciated. Thanks

:mug:

I'm assuming it didn't freeze? considering it already had a good week at normal temps and it didn't freeze, there should be plenty of healthy yeast to finish it up. I recommend warming up a bit higher, 55-56, give it a good swirl for a good minute after its warmed up to get more yeast in suspension, and let it finish up.

Thanks for the reply. I know the whole thing didn't freeze but the bottom of the bucket in contact with the fridge probably got pretty close. I'll follow your advice. Thanks.

Have you checked the gravity? If it is near your FG already, warm it for a D-rest and then transfer. Lager yeasts have no problem being held in the 30's. My helles are lagered at about 33*F for weeks and still have enough viable yeast in suspension to carb.

Back