Help diagnose my off flavor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoeSpartaNJ

Reaction score
So I brewed a SNPA clone which I kegged 14 days after brew day. I carbed by hitting the keg with 30 psi for 24 hours, purging, and setting to my normal serving pressure of 8 psi.

On my initial tasting, I noticed the off flavor which I could not decide whether or not it was green beer flavor or carbonic bite from possible over carbing. I de used to treat the keg for both so I let the beer sit and decade the keg over a weeks time. After a week, put the keg on pressure @ 8 psi again and let recarb and have been at this pressure ever since ( about 2 more weeks.)

The beer still base the carbonic bite, but it should not be overcarbed as my other keg was kegged the same exact same way a d was good from start to finish.

Could it be fusal alcohol? This beer did ferment warm as I do not have temperature control and was fermenting in my basement during our 2 week heat wave where the max ambient temperature was 75 degrees.

Also, the fermented out more than expected. OG was 1.056 and FG was 1.008.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks,

Joe

Carbonic bite can be a b!tch. Many people say it will go away after only a week or so of sitting. However, I've found that it sometimes takes 3-4 weeks to completely clear of it.

Also,

What yeast were you using and at what point during fermentation was the ambient temp at 75? Was it within the first 4-5 days?

That's a very high temperature for most clean ale yeasts.

Yeast was Safale 05 and yes it was 75 the whole way thru, two week yea wave.

I had over carbed 2 beers before and they cleared in a few days.

Are you sure you're not really feeling astringency? Astringency is when you feel an almost prickly sensation in the sides of your cheeks, sometimes like chewing on grape skins.

My guess is the temperature. At 75 ambient the beer actually could have fermented at 80 and with 05 that is really high!

Carbonic bite could be adding to it and causing it to be worse or you could have issues from the keg system itself. How often do you flush your lines, taps, seals, etc? Many a beer has been ruined by poor equipment maintenance.

Beer lines are cleaned between each keg. I am thinking temperature too. Other keg at same psi ok.

UPDATE: I left the beer alone for a few more days and the off flavor seems to be gone.

Maybe it was carbonic bite and just took longer to clear that it had before previously.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Back