Help deciding which kegs to use

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

devilbrewer75

Reaction score
My girlfriends mom bought me 4 firestone pin locks for christmas. My current setup is all ball lock. I plan on building a keezer soon, which are better. It looks like I wouldn't have to build a collar if I use the firestone kegs but they are fatter so I'm afraid I wont be able to fit as many. Not sure which freezer I'm going to buy but I'm planning on building a pvc bar style tap setup with 6 taps. Thanks

First off, that is a hell of a Christmas present. They make adapters to convert pin lock kegs to ball lock disconnects, so you could in theory get those and not have to worry about which keg is which. As to the freezer issue, just buy a bigger one!

Go with whatever you have more of, they both work equally well. I would keep the connections that go with the other ones so that they are still usable.

You could also make a jumper to go from one type to the other and condition in one type and serve in the other.

You can usually find local folks who swap out pin locks for ball locks in a heart beat. That would get you a set all the same and keep you in the Mother in Laws good grace.

You can usually find local folks who swap out pin locks for ball locks in a heart beat. That would get you a set all the same and keep you in the Mother in Laws good grace.

I was thinking of going this route because sending them back for an exchange would probably be expensive because of shipping. Good idea.

Back