Help deciding on 10g kettle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Guitarhead2000

Reaction score
I've been wanting to upgrade to a 10g kettle for some time. I currently do 3g BIAB batches indoors on my stoce but want to start 5g All Grain batches outside.

I'm kinda torn between Spike and SsBrewtech. Leaning a little more towards Spike. For my budget this is a big investment. I've read so many stories and testimonials of one vs the other but want to get some fresh opinions.

Also, what options are considered to be essential, I.e. thermometer (and placement), sightglass etc.

Thanks for the help.

Love my Spike kettle. Only got a valve. I see no need for the other stuff, especially thermometer. Sightglass would just be another thing to clean.

I'm in the same boat! Currently using an 8g heavy duty from morebeer but I I just made the switch to biab, and it won't cut it for much more than 7 or 8 lbs of malt.
Looking at Megapot but don't love weldless.
Spike is a bit pricey.
Ss looks good but weldless again
Bru Gear seems to be a good fit but worried the TC fittings may be more annoying than simple threads (I dont see the need to clean hot side all that often)

Interested in what others have to add.

I definitely want to keep cost under control - just finished my keezer build so budget is tight!

From what I understand the Spike kettles seem to be sturdier. I don't brew too often but want something that's gonna last. Their motto seems to put my mind at ease for that. Gotta do some calculations on cost and when I can pull the trigger. Maybe I'll keep checking the Bargain Cave unless they do any sales or codes in the meantime.

Thanks for the input.

The Spike kettle is a beautiful piece of kit that will last you for years/decades if needed and being weldless you’ll never regret that portion! It’s pricy, but I love mine!

Try and decide now if you’ll want a whirlpool in the future.
If you do, price in the extra port from Spike now; it’ll be cheaper than having it welded later.
The whirlpool feature really helps making chilling with an immersion chiller faster and easier.

I skipped the kettle-mounted thermometer and use a good handheld.

When I factored in the cost of the extra port, two valves, two side pick-up dip tubes (one for whirlpool), on a 15gallon Spike,
I was at the same price as the Ss BME “10 gallon” that actually holds 12 gallons.
It comes with 1 valve and diptube.

A 5.5 gallon batch of a big beer in a 10 gallon pot is a little tight, and a little loose in a 15 gallon pot.
By loose, I mean any extra headspace during mash will make your temps drop quicker.

Don’t discount the BME kettle on price until you price compare apples to apples.
I ended up with the BME10 and couldn’t be happier.

So here is where I think I am going to land...
BrewBuilt (morebeer.com). A bit cheaper than Spike, but comes with 2 welded fittings, valve included (thermo not), not quite as heavy duty as Spike but plenty beefy (1mm walls, 4mm triclad bottom), notched lid with silicone plug, and of course, internal volume markings.

The Ss BME does look awesome, I just dont think I'll be doing a pump/whirlpool at this stage of my homebrew level-of-difficulty, but I could rig something up with the thermo port on the BrewBuilt if needed (I dont intend on using a therm probe through the wall given risk to BIAB bag).

Any positive or negative reviews on BrewBuilt kettles? I am not seeing a ton of independent reviews out there but it seems like a pretty good piece of equipment, on paper at least.

When I got my 10 G kettle, one main requirement was welded ports. The spike seemed very nice, but ultimately I chose a brew built kettle. It's got welded ports, a nice cutout in the lid which is great for my immersion chiller/whirlpool arm and it was less expensive than the spike. It also came with a ball valve. I added (ironically?) a spike 5/8" dip tube and the combo is money.

I've not used or personally seen a spike, so I can't comment on whether it's as good, better or worse, but I like the features and it will last me a lifetime. I am extremely happy with my purchase.

The Ss BME does look awesome, I just dont think I'll be doing a pump/whirlpool at this stage of my homebrew level-of-difficulty

Plan for the future. You're gonna wanna whirlpool at some point. I love the SSBT BME kettle, I have a strong dislike for weldless fittings (aka things that will leak or harbor bacteria at some point). The tangential whirlpool inlet is also awesome. Also, that metal skirt along the bottom is awesome and will save you actual $$$ on propane over time. I'm a big fan of TC fittings as well which it has...

Unfortunately, for me, the largest SSBT BME kettle is 20 gallons and I needed a larger kettle so I went with a custom Spike 30 gallon. I had them swap in TC fittings for the existing two ports and add a third TC port for whirlpooling. This is essentially the SSBT BME kettle at that point, with the exception that I have to use a 60 degree racking arm to do whirlpool instead of a tangential inlet (Spike couldn't do that customization) and it doesn't have the skirt so I use noticeable more propane. Other than that, the quality on the Spike is good and the price surely would have been less than an SSBT BME kettle in 30 gal (if they made one).

My preference would be go for the SSBT BME kettle. But you'll have to decide whether the features are worth the cost.

Plan for the future. You're gonna wanna whirlpool at some point. I love the SSBT BME kettle, I have a strong dislike for weldless fittings (aka things that will leak or harbor bacteria at some point). The tangential whirlpool inlet is also awesome. Also, that metal skirt along the bottom is awesome and will save you actual $$$ on propane over time. I'm a big fan of TC fittings as well which it has...

Unfortunately, for me, the largest SSBT BME kettle is 20 gallons and I needed a larger kettle so I went with a custom Spike 30 gallon. I had them swap in TC fittings for the existing two ports and add a third TC port for whirlpooling. This is essentially the SSBT BME kettle at that point, with the exception that I have to use a 60 degree racking arm to do whirlpool instead of a tangential inlet (Spike couldn't do that customization) and it doesn't have the skirt so I use noticeable more propane. Other than that, the quality on the Spike is good and the price surely would have been less than an SSBT BME kettle in 30 gal (if they made one).

My preference would be go for the SSBT BME kettle. But you'll have to decide whether the features are worth the cost.

I went a different route for WP. I got a SS WP arm from stainless brewing. I got the idea from this, and I have a quick connect on there for easy connection to the outlet of my pump. I have it attached to my hydra immersion chiller so I just plop the whole thing in the kettle. All three connections fit through the kettle lid cutout, making for a quick, easy and clean way to WP and chill with no other holes in the kettle. I'm glad for this as I would have had to valve or cap a WP port with the 9+ gallons I had in the kettle for my huge stout a couple weeks ago.

For 30 gallons an immersion chiller probably isn't the way to go, but for my 5 gallon batches, it's far too easy to use and clean to ever consider a CFC or PC.

For 30 gallons an immersion chiller probably isn't the way to go, but for my 5 gallon batches, it's far too easy to use and clean to ever consider a CFC or PC.

Off topic, I use immersion chilling to get under 140F when doing 25 gallon batches, depending upon what I'm brewing. I use about 6x 1 gallon ice blocks (which take a couple days to freeze from tap) in a cooler with a couple more gallons water to top it off. I drop in 2x 50' immersion chilling coils and get under 140F in about 3 minutes, then let it keep running until the ice melts, at which point it's usually around 130F. I start pumping out of the kettle, to CFC with tap water, to conical where it will usually be around 75F to 80F, and then glycol chilling to get it to whatever exact temp I need for pitching, which will take another 30 minutes or so most of the time.

I like to do it this way because I can leave cold break in the kettle instead of having it form in the CFC (where some of it will inevitably stick and be a pain to get out) and letting all of it sit in the conical for a week+.

Back