Help converting to extract or partial mash??? PLEASE!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

azingsheim

Reaction score
Hey gang. Found Yooper recipe for the Lakefront Ipa clone-ish. Need peoples nelp on converting this to a reasonable extract or partial mash recipe. If peole could help me out that would be great. I will be doing a full 5 gallon boil so I would keep the same hop additions correct? No access to beersmith, etc. so thanks for any help!! here is the recipe. Thanks!

12 lbs 12.0 oz Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 91.07 %
12.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM) Grain 5.36 %
8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain 3.57 %

1.25 oz Chinook [11.50 %] (60 min) Hops 43.5 IBU
1.00 oz Cascade (homegrown) [5.00 %] (5 min) Hops 2.7 IBU
1.00 oz Cascade (homegrown) [5.00 %] (0 min) Hops -

1 Pkgs SafAle English Ale (DCL Yeast #S-04) Yeast-Ale

1.00 oz Simcoe [12.20 %] (Dry Hop 7 days) Hops -
1.00 oz Cascade (homegrown) [5.00 %] (Dry Hop 7 days) Hops -
1.00 oz Chinook (homegrown) [10.00 %] (Dry Hop 7 days) Hops -

any easy conversion is to remember this formula:

1 pound two-row = .75 pounds pale LME = .6 pounds light DME.

So, for 12 pounds of grain, you could sub 7.2 pounds DME. Call it 7 pounds. Or 9 pounds LME.

So:

9 pounds LME (or 7 pounds DME)
12 ounces crystal 20L
8 ounces crystal 40L

Steep the grains in 2 gallons of water at 150-160 for 20 minutes. Remove the grain, and add 3 pounds extract. Bring to a boil.

Hop as directed in the AG recipe.

With 15 minutes left in the boil, add the rest of the extract, taking it off of the burner and stirring well and then putting it back on to boil. When boiling again, continue the timing and hops schedule.

That should about do it.

I just made this beer again today- a friend and I made a 10 gallon batch.

Edit- just saw you're doing a full boil. You can add all the extract at the beginning if you want- I only suggested adding the extract late because I thought it was for a partial boil. You're fine with keeping the hops the same.

Also Yooper did the 04 yeast work alright or would you recommed a liquid alternative? I was thinking wyeast 1028 London Ale would prob be the liquid alternative, but not sure....

Also Yooper, my local HBS arries Columbus hops. Did the original recipe call for them? If yes do you happen to know how much? Wondering if it would make a difference...

Also Yooper, my local HBS arries Columbus hops. Did the original recipe call for them? If yes do you happen to know how much? Wondering if it would make a difference...

I can't remember! I'm almost 50 for crying out loud- I can hardly remember which beer I'm drinking at this moment. :D

I made this again recently, and used this hops schedule:

1.50 oz Chinook [11.50 %] (60 min)
1.00 oz Cascade (homegrown) [5.00 %] (5 min)
1.00 oz Cascade (homegrown) [5.00 %] (0 min) Hops
1.00 oz Simcoe [12.20 %] (Dry Hop 7 days) Hops -
1.00 oz Chinook [11.50 %] (Dry Hop 7 days) Hops -
1.00 oz Cascade (homegrown) [5.00 %] (Dry Hop 7 days)

But, I did look at my notes. And my notes say that columbus would be the preferred bittering hop (which I was out of at that time) so I subbed with an equal AAU amount of chinook. If you have 11-12% columbus, you can sub them one for one in the 60 minute addition.

I used S05 yeast for the last batch.

Back