Help converting this recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Danam404

Reaction score
Can someone help me with an extract version?

% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
36.4 4.00 lbs. Pale Malt(2-row) America 1.036 2
36.4 4.00 lbs. Pale Malt(2-row) Belgium 1.037 3
9.1 1.00 lbs. Flaked Corn (Maize) America 1.040 1
18.2 2.00 lbs. Cane Sugar Generic 1.046 0

Thanks guys!

Are you messing with me? You can't get pink from anything but food coloring. If you're serious, brew a 5g batch with 4-5 lbs. lightest DME you can find, add 1 oz. hops (mellow) like saaz at the beginning of the boil, use a dry yeast like US-05 and add red food coloring when racking to the bottling bucket until it's the color you want.

Really, though? You thought you could get pink from malted grains?

Danam404 said:
Can someone help me with an extract version?

% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
36.4 4.00 lbs. Pale Malt(2-row) America 1.036 2
36.4 4.00 lbs. Pale Malt(2-row) Belgium 1.037 3
9.1 1.00 lbs. Flaked Corn (Maize) America 1.040 1
18.2 2.00 lbs. Cane Sugar Generic 1.046 0

Thanks guys!

The trouble with an extract recipe for this one is the corn. Corn needs to be mashed to convert its starches to sugars. But, you could replace the corn with more sugar I guess...another 10 oz or so. Like the other poster said, all the two-row is equal to about 4.5 lbs DME.

This will be a pretty cidery recipe though...you'll get your color from the flower leaves. Why not put it into something tastier and similarly colored, like a kolsch or cream ale maybe?

That's a good call. Any suggestions for a light (less than 4 SRM) recipe that's tasty?

That's a good call. Any suggestions for a light (less than 4 SRM) recipe that's tasty?

Here's a relatively straightforward cream ale recipe:

(5.5 gal at the end of boil)
3 lb Pilsener LME
3 lb Light LME
1.5 lb Rice Syrup

1 oz Liberty (4%) at 60min
0.5 oz Liberty (4%) at 1min

A clean yeast (like WLP001, Wyeast 1056, or US-05). Ferment cool at 64F.

Cream ales are good because they're light and relatively neutral. You could also do a lager, but that requires time and equipment. A Belgian wit or even a saison could be good if you are looking for something a bit more complex, but for a first go I'd keep it simple to highlight the hibiscus. GL. Let us know how it turns out :mug:

Back