Help cloning imperial milk stout recipe with chocolate, coconut, caramel conditioning

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RyPA

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
A brewery near me makes a really good stout that I want to figure out a recipe for.

It's called Port Omna, by Kane brewing, they make a few variants, and this one is awesome. It has a chewy mouthfeel, rich chocolate note, and a nice coconut flavor in the background.
'Caramel, coconut, chocolate imperial stout. Inspired by one of our favorite childhood cookies, we conditioned this stout on caramel, toasted coconut, and a combination of Haitian and Ugandan cacao nibs."

I recently made an attempt which was a complete fail, using a chocolate stout recipe kit from Austin Homebrew, with an addition of Apex/Silver Cloud toasted coconut extract, which did not taste like coconut at all. I've been drinking it, but likely going to dump it once I get this batch ready for the keg.

I obviously want to skip the coconut extract with this batch and use actual ingredients. Unsweetened organic coconut flakes, which I will lightly toast, as well as cacao nibs -- both of which I read that soaking in vodka beforehand will help to extract the flavor. Thinking of skipping the lactose and instead getting body from oats.

2 questions I have:

Can anyone help me out with putting together a solid imperial milk stout recipe?
How do you condition beer on caramel?

Thank you

Last edited:
Considering trying this recipe instead as it seems like a simpler base milk stout. To be brewed according to instructions and then secondary/condition on vanilla beans, coconut, and cacao nibs. Considering using voss kviek as I do not yet have solid temperature control -- or I can use S04 at 68F or higher. Should I do a closed transfer between vessels with a stout, or is it only an issue for hoppy beers like IPA's/NEIPA's?

Thinking about the current stout that I am not happy with, I think it's a bit overly sweet which may be overpowering the chocolate/coconut. I either did not ferment long enough, or the lactose is too much. This time around I plan to ferment taking samples to ensure it's done and not add lactose until in the keg, and only if needed.

Thanks

https://www.morebeer.com/view_product/9639

Last edited:
Back