Help Choosing Pressurized Fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mbg

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I want to try pressurized fermentation. I sort of narrowed my choice down to the Fremzilla conical with collection cup and the Fermzilla all-rounder.

Currently I use a FastFerment conical. I like the collection cup for collecting/dumping trub before I pitch yeast but don't really use it for harvesting yeast. Will I be fine just using the all-rounder and saving about $70-$80?

Thanks

I'm far from an expert(compared to most here) but being able to dump the trub and get the beer off the yeast and dry hops without having to transfer really puts my mind at ease.

I have the catalyst and my 13 gal Fermzilla just showed up in the mail

Good luck!

I was just wondering the exact same yesterday! One of the comments by a purchaser regarding the Fermzilla is that it is very difficult to clean and sterilize because of all the parts. Apparently it also can leak. This would not be the case with the all-rounder. Besides it's a lot less expensive. So as long as you don't intend to harvest the yeast, you might be better to obtain the all-rounder, which will likely be my choice as well. The trub can still be eliminated by purchasing one of the floating attachments that connect to the out valve.

I'm far from an expert(compared to most here) but being able to dump the trub and get the beer off the yeast and dry hops without having to transfer really puts my mind at ease.

I have the catalyst and my 13 gal Fermzilla just showed up in the mail

Good luck!

With the all-rounder do you need to transfer for dry hopping? Think I saw a video where they just dumped the hops in through the lid.

I mean to get the beer off of the dry hops(and yeast) without having to transfer to a new vessel , I'm not sure how much luck you'd have trying to "suck" the wet hops and yeast out as they're pretty thick and sludgy.

Again I'm still learning all this stuff so anything I say should be confirmed by the experts here

I mean to get the beer off of the dry hops(and yeast) without having to transfer to a new vessel , I'm not sure how much luck you'd have trying to "suck" the wet hops and yeast out as they're pretty thick and sludgy.

Again I'm still learning all this stuff so anything I say should be confirmed by the experts here
Got it - thanks.

If you're kegging your brew, look to putting the dry hop addition into the keg right before it goes in to chill/carbonate. I'm not alone in doing this and having solid results (epic even). For one thing, you're not tied to the <2 week time frame with the hops in there. I've had the best results with leaf hop (nothing happened to the flavor of the beer with pellet, just the appearance altered after a few months).

As for the actual fermenting vessel... I've been using converted commercial kegs that I altered about 9 years ago now. Never had any issues with using them with non-pressurized fermenting. I've also done three batches under pressure in some of them (three different sized units).

Once I move, I'm going to look into stainless conical fermenters to migrate to which have the provisioning for using glycol chillers. I like stainless steel for several reasons. Not the least of them is how NO light can get to my brew once closed up. Plus I can use steam to sterilize IF I ever need to.

One of the guys who uses the fermzilla product, on youtubers, mentioned how they're really only good for so many batches/years. They eventually start to break down and then will fail. That can be accelerated depending on what solution you use to clean them with (and contact time). I use PBW to clean everything (nothing I have has a negative reaction to it).

People use what works best for them. I won't be looking to get the cheapest unit when it's time for the conical(s). I won't spend stupid, but I'll get the features I want right out of the gate (even if it's ones I can only see using a bit down the road). The fermenters I'm using now (and for the past 9+ years, didn't cost me all that much each. Mostly due to buying them smart. I had a welder install the gas ball lock base in the top of the (most, except for the 50L and a couple of tall 1/4 bbl I picked up later) keg via TIG welding. I have TC caps that mate to the opening where the spear goes with a thermowell and liquid post. My 'rev 2' is going to have all three items on the TC cap (both ball lock posts and a thermowell).

If you don't care about collecting yeast go for the all rounder. It's got less pieces to break and will take up less space. I've been quite enjoying mine. You can depressurize and open the lid to add dry hops, or you can use magnets to have them suspended above the beer until you are ready to add them in.

Back