Help choose my Rhizomes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fifelee

Reaction score
To date in my home brewing career (6 batches) I have mostly focused on equipment and process. My recipes have all been from kits, so my knowledge of the most common hop varieties is limited. I plan on planting 5 hop plants this spring so I have an ample supply in the next few years as my recipe knowledge improves.

Can I get each of you to list the 5 hop varieties that you use the most so I can get an idea of what rhizomes to order? Thanks.

What I use the most and what I'd recommend growing aren't necessarily the same. You have to consider how well the variety will do where you plant them. If you could grow anything you wanted, I'd recommend Cascade or Amarillo, Hallertauer, EKG, Mt. Hood, and maybe Perle or Saaz. Don't grow hops with the intention of using them to bitter unless you want to have a lab figure out the alpha acid %'s (which won't even be stable for the first few seasons). I only grow hops that I will use for late additions...

Soulive said:
What I use the most and what I'd recommend growing aren't necessarily the same. You have to consider how well the variety will do where you plant them. If you could grow anything you wanted, I'd recommend Cascade or Amarillo, Hallertauer, EKG, Mt. Hood, and maybe Perle or Saaz. Don't grow hops with the intention of using them to bitter unless you want to have a lab figure out the alpha acid %'s (which won't even be stable for the first few seasons). I only grow hops that I will use for late additions...

Good points Soulive. I amend my request. Can I get the five hops that you use most for late additions?

here's what i ordered.....................

Item Ref. Price ea. Qty. Description

RHIZCEN $4.25 4 Centennial Hop Rhizome

RHIZFUG $4.25 4 Fuggle Hop Rhizome

RHIZGOL $4.25 4 Golding Hop Rhizome

RHIZHAL $4.25 4 Hallertau Hop Rhizome

RHIZMTH $4.25 4 Mt Hood Hop Rhizome

RHIZSTER $4.25 4 Sterling Hop Rhizome

RHIZWIL $4.25 4 Willamette Hop Rhizome

from a different source, i ordered 7 nugget rhizomes.

Back