Help change recipe from extract to AG

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NigeltheBold

Reaction score
I'm working on a recipe for a cream ale and found the one that I like from Brewer's Best, but it is an extract recipe. I'd like to change it to all-grain without changing the taste of the beer too much. Without worrying about hops and yeast (for now), here is what BB has on their website for the cream ale:

3.3 lbs. Light LME
2 lbs. Pilsen DME
1 lb. Corn Sugar

I'm assuming I would substitute 2-Row Pale malt for the Light LME and Pilsen malt for the pilsen DME, but how much of each should I use? Should I include the corn sugar in the AG recipe?

Overall, it seems like a pretty simple recipe (no specialty grains).

A cream ale traditionally uses a corn adjunct. The reason the extract recipe uses corn sugar (which has no corn flavor) is that corn needs to be mashed. If you are doing an all-grain cream ale then, IMO, you shouldn't try to copy the compromised extract recipe but instead do a cream ale with malted barley and corn. A basic cream ale recipe is 70% malted barley and 30% corn with a subtle amount of hops. Try about 7 lbs of malt (2-row, 6-row, lager, pilsner or a mix) and 2.5 lbs of flaked maize. A half pound of light crystal or CaraPils is optional. Bitter to 15-20 IBU with Cluster (for authenticity although you could use almost anything) and drop in a small late addition of Hallertau for a touch of flavor/aroma. If you truly want to try to replicate the extract recipe, sub 1.5 lbs of dextrose for the 2.5 lbs of maize.

Back