HELP!!! blow off issues

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mista_Sparkle

Reaction score
My blow off tube is clogging and my beer is going to be for 2 weeks. I'm using a 3/8" OD tube into a glass straight out of the hole in my lid. What can I do? so I don't come back to an explosion/old smelly mess?

Get a bigger tube.

I don't use blow-off tubes, but I thought they were supposed to be about an inch in diameter (specifically to avoid them getting clogged.)

Well, the hole is pretty small, so you'd have to make a bigger hole to get a bigger hose in there. When are you leaving? It should be settling down in a day.

Ah, well then you've got a problem I guess!

I don't have any quick and easy solutions except to take the lid off and put it back on loosely (not tight down). That might help, or it still might pop off if the fermentation is that vigorous.

When did you brew? And what's the temperature? If it's a "hot" ferment, that would explain such a big krausen.

I brewed last night and I'm at 68ºF

I stuck the tube lower into the bucket to try and avoid sucking up the clumpy stuff at the top and hopefully keep it from clogging. I guess next round, im gonna get another lid and punch a bigger hole... unless I get a carboy for Christmas

It smells delicious BTW

What it looks like as of less than 10 secs after you loaded the page
beercam.jpg

well i cant really tell what is going on in that picture but if I was you I would just stick it out with the smaller tube. When this batch is done I would drill a new hole in your primary's lid to accommodate a larger diameter tube. Just plug the normal airlock hole when using the blow off.

The blow off on my winter-ale was really only spitting out krausen for a day or two max. After that I removed the blow off and switched to the regular airlock.

Back