Help! All-Brett finished quick - What's happening?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Calder

Reaction score
This is my 4th All-Brett beer. The first 3 took close to 2 weeks to get close to FG, and took a couple of months to finish and clear.

I am using the same yeast (harvested after 2 weeks in the third batch). I washed it, made a 3 liter 1.036 starter, which went crazy (got a blow-off in a gallon jug with it).

Made a 1.060 wort Friday. Pitched yeast late Friday, wort was around room temp of 63 F (was cooled, then left 12 hours and racked off trub before pitching yeast). After 4 hours there was no activity. At 13 hours (next morning) there was lots of activity and an inch of kraeusen. This was pretty good since I had used FermCap-S. At 24 hours, it was more active. At 36 hours kraeusen had dropped and activity slowed.

Now at 48 hours activity has almost stopped and the beer is starting to clear.

Can it really be done?

Has anyone seen this quick activity with Brett before?

I will take a gravity reading in a couple of days when it has cleared a little more.

Brew details:

Brown/Porter, 6.5 gallons. Partial Mash (1.5 lbs Maris Otter, 0.65 lbs Special-B, 0.65 lbs Acid, 0.65 lbs Aromatic, 1.0 lbs Coffee Malt, 0.5 lbs Oats), mashed at 150 F. Pilsner LME to make up the gravity. 35 IBUs.

I think Brett is pretty much like any other yeast when used on its own. It can finish very fast or take a little longer. I guess the only way is to take a gravity reading and see where you are.

Looks like I duplicated this thread. Please use the other one.

Back