Help: air leak in kegerator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nbspindel

Reaction score
Yes, this is an air leak, as in 'something aint sealed right and my cold air aint staying cold'. This is not a CO2 problem, as is more common.

I have a kegerator which i build onto a minifridge. Was sealed fine, but i recently moved and had to detach it, reassemble and seal. Bad luck now i think. I've cooled it about 15* below ambient and felt for cool leaks around doors, etc, but nothing. What i'd like to do is a smoke check. That is, somehow get a lot of smoke in there and watch for leaks. Any ideas?

I know i just missed the 4th and all those fireworks, but was en route here. I also know i can make a smoke bomb with salt peter, etc, but it seems really flammable and not something i want inside my kegerator.

if anyone in Vegas has a heat sensor/infrared or any other way to check for leaks, i'm willing to trade some hot beer! ha.

did you tip it on its back or side during the move? a refrigerator compressor needs to be upright for about 24 hours before turning on. I failed to do this on a dorm fridge, the oil hydrolocked the compressor and bent something internally resulting in no more cooling, of course it could also be an air leak, I have a smoke machine for testing emissions systems on cars, I turned it on, put it in my fermenter and closed the door. found a leak in 5 minutes, repaired and Im good to go! maybe try putting a flashlight inside, close the door, turn out the lights and look for light around seals or gaskets.

did you tip it on its back or side during the move? a refrigerator compressor needs to be upright for about 24 hours before turning on. I failed to do this on a dorm fridge, the oil hydrolocked the compressor and bent something internally resulting in no more cooling, of course it could also be an air leak, I have a smoke machine for testing emissions systems on cars, I turned it on, put it in my fermenter and closed the door. found a leak in 5 minutes, repaired and Im good to go! maybe try putting a flashlight inside, close the door, turn out the lights and look for light around seals or gaskets.

Putting a bright light inside and checking the seals closely in a darkened room is a good suggestion. It's not guaranteed to reveal the leak, but it's easy to do and might show you where the problem is. An infra red remote reading thermometer might work too. There should be a noticeable temperature differential right at the location of the leak.

i think a smoke machine would be great. i'll try the light, although i've tried that in the past and it seems some leaks are too small to see, yet still leak cold. The fridge cools still, i can see the temps drop pretty well, but they also come right back up as the air leaks out.

anyone in vegas got a smoke machine?

i think a smoke machine would be great. i'll try the light, although i've tried that in the past and it seems some leaks are too small to see, yet still leak cold. The fridge cools still, i can see the temps drop pretty well, but they also come right back up as the air leaks out.

anyone in vegas got a smoke machine?

You must have more than just a tiny air leak if the temps are dropping that fast. Usually what you will notice first is a lot of condensation inside. An air leak that significant should be easy to locate. I suspect there's something else wrong.

IR_thermometer.jpg

like this one? I have one of those, they work great too!

Back