Help! Added frozen concentrated cranberry juice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

North1968

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I am brewing some Cooper's Canadian Blonde with about 1.25 KG (2.8 lbs) of that clear (fructose? Glucose? Dextrose?) extract they sell in place of corn sugar at brew shops. After boiling I got the temperature down to the range needed, 70 - 74F where it remained for the first week. Airlock bubbled away as always then when things slowed down, I decided to get creative and add a can of frozen concentrated cranberry juice (I thawed it so it was room temperature syrup as it went in). By my calculations it has about 187 grams (6.6 oz) of glucose / fructose. Then, the airlock started bubbling a little more for a couple of days as expected and when it slowed way down and temperature dropped, I decided to drop in my hydrometer expecting things to be within normal bottling range, but it was high (1.020). So I left it fro a few more days and raised the temperature back to the low 70's and it is still at 1.020, 3 days later and bubbles have now all but stopped. I'm a little worried about bottling and having gushers. I use snap down bottles with the rubber washer as seals if that matters.

Did the can of concentrate raise the final gravity that much or has something gone wrong? I'm not worried about figuring out alcohol content, just trying to avoid bottles leaking (would they explode too?).
Sorry for lack of specifics that I know some are used to. I know some people keep diaries and that is awesome, but I guess I have always done things by the book and never got creative so I didn't get into the habit of taking good notes.

Thanks for any advice.

Last edited:
Hi everyone,
I am brewing some Cooper's Canadian Blonde with about 1.25 KG (2.8 lbs) of that clear (fructose? Glucose? Dextrose?) extract they sell in place of corn sugar at brew shops. After boiling I got the temperature down to the range needed, 70 - 74F where it remained for the first week. Airlock bubbled away as always then when things slowed down, I decided to get creative and add a can of frozen concentrated cranberry juice (I thawed it so it was room temperature syrup as it went in). By my calculations it has about 187 grams (6.6 oz) of glucose / fructose. Then, the airlock started bubbling a little more for a couple of days as expected and when it slowed way down and temperature dropped, I decided to drop in my hydrometer expecting things to be within normal bottling range, but it was high (1.020). So I left it fro a few more days and raised the temperature back to the low 70's and it is still at 1.020, 3 days later and bubbles have now all but stopped. I'm a little worried about bottling and having gushers. I use snap down bottles with the rubber washer as seals if that matters.

Did the can of concentrate raise the final gravity that much or has something gone wrong? I'm not worried about figuring out alcohol content, just trying to avoid bottles leaking (would they explode too?).
Sorry for lack of specifics that I know some are used to. I know some people keep diaries and that is awesome, but I guess I have always done things by the book and never got creative so I didn't get into the habit of taking good notes.

Thanks for any advice.

Did the can of concentrate have preservatives or artificial sweeteners in it?

Did the can of concentrate have preservatives or artificial sweeteners in it?
Thanks for getting back to me.
No, it's just glucose-fructose, some fruit juices and ascorbic acid (Vitamin C).
And it did pick up fermenting pace for a couple of days after the concentrate was added, if the bubbles in the airlock can be trusted. That would have been day 8 to day 10 or 11.

If you don't know your gravity before you added the juice, you can't really tell how much it raised it.
You could leave it another week and check gravity again to be sure.
The general advice is getting the same gravity readings several days apart means fermentation is done.

If you don't know your gravity before you added the juice, you can't really tell how much it raised it.
You could leave it another week and check gravity again to be sure.
The general advice is getting the same gravity readings several days apart means fermentation is done.
Okay thanks Marc1, that helps. I already have 3 days the same so I will wait for 4 to 7 more for sure, then bulk prime with 3/4 cup of corn sugar as usual.

Do you think I should push my luck and throw another can of the concentrate in and see how much it raises the gravity? That might give me an idea maybe. Or should I leave well enough alone at this point? Nah never mind. If I make it too sweet my wife will drink it all!:D

Last edited:
Is it noticeably sweeter than before you added the juice?
Didn't taste it before or after. I guess I'm just waiting to see if I have a cranberry taste at all. I have read other people saying they'd do at least 3 cans to get a good flavor, so I figure I'm safe with only 1 or 2. However, my guess would be that it would not be a whole lot sweeter as the sugar did kick up the fermentation judging by the airlock activity for the 2 or 3 days after I added it.

My plan was to prime with the other can, but now I hear concentrate is not as predictable as the usual corn sugar I use, so maybe I'll just prime with corn sugar and see how it tastes with 1 can and maybe try 2 next time if I want more berry flavor.

Didn't taste it before or after. I guess I'm just waiting to see if I have a cranberry taste at all. I have read other people saying they'd do at least 3 cans to get a good flavor, so I figure I'm safe with only 1 or 2. However, my guess would be that it would not be a whole lot sweeter as the sugar did kick up the fermentation judging by the airlock activity for the 2 or 3 days after I added it.

My plan was to prime with the other can, but now I hear concentrate is not as predictable as the usual corn sugar I use, so maybe I'll just prime with corn sugar and see how it tastes with 1 can and maybe try 2 next time if I want more berry flavor.

Sounds like a good plan!

Take notes, and take more gravity readings next time so you can understand the fermentation more.

Let us know how it comes out!

Ascorbic Acid will change the gravity.
I believe it has a specific gravity of 1.65.
Okay that helps to know, thanks. Although it's such a small amount as it is last on the ingredients list, I wonder if it makes much difference. Still could be a contributor at 1.65.

From my experience brewing booch, you can't get an accurate gravity measurement because the presence of acetic, glucuronic, and gluconic acid.

What was on the nutrition label?

From my experience brewing booch, you can't get an accurate gravity measurement because the presence of acetic, glucuronic, and gluconic acid.

What was on the nutrition label?
Glucose-fructose, some fruit juices and ascorbic acid (Vitamin C).

No... is there a nutritional guide with grams of sugars, etc? Like the screenshot I attached?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210327-235528_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    Screenshot_20210327-235528_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    160.6 KB · Views: 6
The other benefit to using the swing top bottles is you can always burp the co2 of it builds up to high. Maybe check a bottle after a few days, or bottle one in a plastic coke bottle to see where it goes.
Otherwise, follow advice from these other guys, I have no knowledge to what they are pointing out.

Are you putting your hydrometer into the entire batch? Aka putting it into the fermentor?

Best practice is to pull a sample into a seperate container to use your hydrometer. That helps prevent infections AND bonus: you can taste the sample!
Thanks. I always wondered about those dipping containers. Wouldn't the container used to retrieve the sample pose just as much risk? I'll buy one next time I'm at the store though. I actually have a valve at the bottom of my SS Brew Bucket so it will be no risk to do that now.

No... is there a nutritional guide with grams of sugars, etc? Like the screenshot I attached?
Sorry, here it is in 2 parts because it is hard to see in one shot due to the curve of the can. This is my extra can I didn't use, the other one is long gone in the garbage. Can is 295 ml so you need to multiply amounts by 4.68.

label 1.jpg
label 2.jpg

The other benefit to using the swing top bottles is you can always burp the co2 of it builds up to high. Maybe check a bottle after a few days, or bottle one in a plastic coke bottle to see where it goes.
Otherwise, follow advice from these other guys, I have no knowledge to what they are pointing out.
I was hoping for that, thanks for the extra assurance.

Thanks. I always wondered about those dipping containers. Wouldn't the container used to retrieve the sample pose just as much risk? I'll buy one next time I'm at the store though. I actually have a valve at the bottom of my SS Brew Bucket so it will be no risk to do that now.
Yes- use that valve. Also, if you can, keep a little spray bottle if mixed (or, properly diluted) star-san. Spray the valve outside and up inside each time you use it.
This is an over-abundance of caution... but in my opinion it is well worth the effort.

I always wondered about those dipping containers.

It's called a thief. You sanitize it and take a sample. If you use a refractometer, the amount required is far less than that needed for a hydrometer and graduated cylinder.

You could also benefit from a digital pH meter and a conductivity meter.

It's called a thief. You sanitize it and take a sample. If you use a refractometer, the amount required is far less than that needed for a hydrometer and graduated cylinder.

You could also benefit from a digital pH meter and a conductivity meter.
I think he may be refferring to the graduated cylander (spelling errors!!) that the hydromter floats in.

The thing with a graduated cylinder and hydrometer is that it wastes a lot of product. After testing I wouldn't dare put it back in the fermenter.

If you use a thief you can pull out a small amount and test it with a refractometer, which only requires a small sample.

Yes- use that valve. Also, if you can, keep a little spray bottle if mixed (or, properly diluted) star-san. Spray the valve outside and up inside each time you use it.
This is an over-abundance of caution... but in my opinion it is well worth the effort.
I always spray the hydrometer with Starsan solution before it goes in, then only handle the tip and pull it back out before anything from my hands could spread. Of course I sanitize my hands beforehand too.

The thing with a graduated cylinder and hydrometer is that it wastes a lot of product. After testing I wouldn't dare put it back in the fermenter.

If you use a thief you can pull out a small amount and test it with a refractometer, which only requires a small sample.

Hydrometer doesn't work accurately once alcohol is present. It can be done roughly if you find the correct conversion table and know your starting gravity

Hydrometer doesn't work accurately once alcohol is present. It can be done roughly if you find the correct conversion table and know your starting gravity
Right, mine has the table on it so it's pretty easy to get that. I think I just have to subtract the final value from the starting one but I haven't really done it since the early 1990's.

I use a turkey baster (exclusive to my brewing) to draw off some into the old school cylinder, 4 draws with the baster is enough. Hydrometer goes in. But the other purpose of doing that is using it to taste after the reading and it doesn't go to waste. It's the main reason I never bought a refractometer.

I had an instance where the hydrometer reading seamed a bit high after a longish time fermenting but I thought it may be done. Tasting the sample showed it was still too sweet. I let it go another week and hydrometer and taste were both good. The sample never goes back in!!!!

I wouldn't stick a hydrometer into my fermenter. That's just asking for trouble. And one more thing, bubbling in the airlock is not a good indicator.

I use a turkey baster (exclusive to my brewing) to draw off some into the old school cylinder, 4 draws with the baster is enough. Hydrometer goes in. But the other purpose of doing that is using it to taste after the reading and it doesn't go to waste. It's the main reason I never bought a refractometer.

I had an instance where the hydrometer reading seamed a bit high after a longish time fermenting but I thought it may be done. Tasting the sample showed it was still too sweet. I let it go another week and hydrometer and taste were both good. The sample never goes back in!!!!

I wouldn't stick a hydrometer into my fermenter. That's just asking for trouble. And one more thing, bubbling in the airlock is not a good indicator.
I've heard bubbling is not a good indicator, but I think with the other evidence (no change in specific gravity over a week) it makes sense to believe it is over. So tonight I bottled it. Put in plastic container in case of blow outs and will keep an eye on it. It has been in the fermenter for 2.5 weeks overall with no change at all in SG in the last 7 days (at least). It really looks like it was almost done when I added the cranberry and things picked up again for a few extra days.

I'll let you know in about 3 weeks how things are shaping up.

PS guys, I decided to bulk prime with the extra can of cranberry concentrate after thawing. It actually has nearly the exact same glucose-fructose amount as 3/4 cups of corn sugar from what I read (150 grams).

Your sticking a turkey baster in there 4-5 times. Why not sanitize the hydrometer and put that in there one time? It is glass and should sanitize fairly well.

Your sticking a turkey baster in there 4-5 times. Why not sanitize the hydrometer and put that in there one time? It is glass and should sanitize fairly well.
The other thing with putting the hydrometer in is being able to read it. In a plastic or steel bucket you can't see it from the side, and how do you get it out with a glass carboy? Anyway, we all have our preferred methods. All are good if they work for you.

Back