Help a newb build a kegging system?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JCway16

Reaction score
So lets talk taps, regulators, lines, c02, etc...

I just picked up a brand new Summit 'no kit' kegerator for $200 and now need to decide on what taps, regulator, lines etc. to get for it.

I'm pretty new to this and have been researching kegerators/kegging and just couldn't pass up the deal.

Are there certain faucets that I should look at? Certain regulators?

Are there certain 'kits' that I should look at or should I build piece by piece?

Perlick, taprite, etc?

Keep in mind I'd like to keep this budget friendly, but I'm also one who likes to 'do it once and do it right'

Here's the exact model that I picked up:
http://www.summitappliance.com/catalog/model/SBC635MBINK

Looking at the manual it shows a tap. Did it come with one?? Perlicks are the best since they forward seal and don't stick. They are a bit more expensive.

If you got this for homebrew then you'll need to get some kegs. Cornies are the most common. I use ball locks since they're a little slimmer. Pin locks are a little shorter and wider. My kegerator is similar in size and I can fit 2 ball locks and up to a 20 pound CO2 tank inside. I found all of mine on craigslist for around $50 a piece.

You'll need to get some gas and beer fittings for your kegs. They can be gotten at most homebrew shops and online. The gas and beer connections look alike but are slightly different. Gas are usually grey and beer is usually black. If you put the wrong one on the wrong post it's a pain to get it off.

Most of the time you'll be setting your gas to around 8-12 psi depending on temperature and the carb level you're aiming for. Get at least 10' of 3/16" ID beer line. This will help slow down the beer and prevent foam. Typically you want 1 foot of 3/16" line per psi. I have a 10' line and usually set to 12psi and it pours just fine.

As far as regulators, mine came with a couple tanks that I got for free. They're pretty old but work fine. Don't have any advice on that except that if it works and it's cheap then go for it.

This calculator is helpful for figuring out what pressure to set:

http://www.brewersfriend.com/keg-carbonation-calculator/

Thanks for the reply...

Sorry about the link, I bought a Summit '635M' which is a 'no kit' option and basically just the refrigerator portion, still at $200 it's a steal as it's normally $850+.

I've been looking at the Perlick 630SS and 650SS, is the 650SS control flow THAT beneficial?

What about the Taprite T752HP regulator which is a dual product dual control regulator? I figure that will help when running two different styles of beer and it force carbing.

Like I said, I like to 'do it once and do it right' but also don't want to get TOO crazy!

I found homebrew finds on Twitter very helpful in finding great deals on quality parts. I think I got my perlick 630's for $36

Hey JCway16,

Where'd you find that for $200? I'm only seeing it for $960 and up online! Please let me know!

Back