help a new brewer out

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hopped

Reaction score
So anyways this is my first batch and while botteling I must have drank too much and forgot to add the priming sugar and when I got back from my local hbs I saw the pot of sterilized sugar and freaked out slowly poured all the bottles back into bucket to try keyword try not to get air bubbles in the bottles as I poured as not to add oxygen to the beer in which a little bit did then heated up sugar again cooled off and added back to beer then rebottled I know sounds like a pain in the rear but should my beer carbonate now and not have any off flavors any help would be cool

So anyways this is my first batch and while botteling I must have drank too much and forgot to add the priming sugar and when I got back from my local hbs I saw the pot of sterilized sugar and freaked out slowly poured all the bottles back into bucket to try keyword try not to get air bubbles in the bottles as I poured as not to add oxygen to the beer in which a little bit did then heated up sugar again cooled off and added back to beer then rebottled I know sounds like a pain in the rear but should my beer carbonate now and not have any off flavors any help would be cool

It will carbonate, but I'm not going to sugar coat that it's almost definitely oxidized.

Consider it a lesson learned, next time try not to forget, and if you do, fizz drops are a better alternative

Tnx and its been a learning expierence I'm gonna wait two weeks bottle and send them to friends across the country as yeast samples:cross: so they will condition for another week after that so my question is my beer tasted really good today will it taste good 2 weeks from now or does oxidation effect flavors that quickly or just shelf life only because I was just planning to drink this batch and give to friends not age

Oxidation is almost immediate. You'll very likely have off flavors like stale cardboard due to the oxidation. I would hold off also on shipping out "yeast samples" until you've tried them at least. If you ever have an issue like this in the future you can either use carbonation drops (little pill shaped priming sugar) or measure out very carefully table sugar or corn sugar and pour a small amount into each bottle then recap.

I hope these do turn out well but I fear for oxidation. Whatever the outcome, don't let this batch get you down and stop brewing. RDWHAHB.

Hello, If you ever do this again, you can pop the lids and add table sugar or corn sugar directly to the bottles and re cap.

No reason to pour beer out of bottles.

Cheers

Well said...

You've never heard of changing your mind on a post? I decided to delete it because I wasn't in the mood for an argument.

What I said was directed at you, I was congratulating you on repeating exactly what I said. Looks like the guy above you repeated it too! Maybe 5 more people can come and repeat my advice on a thread that's already resolved :)

Well now I know and plan on brewing another batch in a few days ill let you all know if I got real intense cardboard flavor and tnx everyone again for the help

Back