Help a guy out

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Seanies

Reaction score
Hi all I'm Sean and I'm new, looking to identify this plastic cap on my new still kettle. It's an old Strongbow original keg with a standard D type spear. I've removed the spear & now I'm worried that when heated the cap will melt and leak vapours from my still. Can any of you guys help me?

Attachments

• 15881042736141121654649827853133.jpg
    15881042736141121654649827853133.jpg
    961.2 KB · Views: 52
  • 15881043021122358031790305719429.jpg
    15881043021122358031790305719429.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 53
ethanol at high purity will dissolve plastic.....i wouldn't be worried about it melting as much as it dissolving.....can you replace it with a silicone bung/stopper?

Can't help ya', without actually seeing it.

My guess: An over pressure release of some sort, though I've never seen one on a keg before.

That said, the plastic is on the outside, and I definitely wouldn't worry about it @ distillation temps.

If you have a small mirror, and a light, look through the keg opening, to ease your concerns, and verify no plastic in the vapor path........;)

( Don't big deal it )

Cheers guys, I could replace it with a bung. I'm also wondering if I could fit a 4" ferrule tri clamp? Could cut the hole to include this area.

Cheers guys, I could replace it with a bung. I'm also wondering if I could fit a 4" ferrule tri clamp? Could cut the hole to include this area.

You just have a preference for the 4" ?

The input I've been getting / seeing, is they wished they'd have gone a 6"'er, as you'll gain to real advantage to cleaning with the 4...........Most arms won't fit through it.........

Hehehe ummm I'm not buff. 😂 Its just what I have here (arm fits to the shoulder), if I had a 6" I'd fit/weld it to the side. 🤔 but I've got other kegs coming, so I may have a little play about? The main issue for me was identifying the odd blue thing. I've never seen it before.

The main issue for me was identifying the odd blue thing. I've never seen it before.

when i first started distilling, i was still using a plastic hydrometer test cylinder...even at room temp, using it for test 80+% alcohol, it dissolved after a few runs.....silicone rubber is tough stuff though....i handle other stuff that dissolves plastic, and it doesn't touch silicone....or it touches it, but doesn't melt it....lol

edit: now that i think about it, my still uses a silicone bung to hold the thermometer at the top of my column....so silicone would work....

Last edited:
It's going to have to be removed. I don't think I trust it. Plus it's not worth the gamble. I'm still in the dark about what it actually is mind you.

I'm still in the dark about what it actually is mind you.

now that you mention it....is it just a cap for a metal hook-up of some type? if it's keg that's suppose to hold pressure, i don't see that thing staying on. unless it's just a cap for something else.....take it off, and show another picture with it off....

One sec, here's a close up. It's filled with a black centre

Attachments

• 15883570498675088171588093066737.jpg
    15883570498675088171588093066737.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 31
Can it be a burst disc for over-pressure?
How about removing the whole assembly, and welding it shut?

Or make a useful port out of it. Not sure what to use it for, though...

As for your column port, go for a 6" triclamp, minimum. Makes cleaning and access a lot easier. Aren't you mounting a heating element in the bottom?

No I'm going propane gas hob from underneath.

As for tri clamp sizes, 6" would offer much better access to clean, but I'm wondering if I'd top mount or side mount it? Also, can you get glass plates for end caps on 4" or 6"?

No I'm going propane gas hob from underneath.

As for tri clamp sizes, 6" would offer much better access to clean, but I'm wondering if I'd top mount or side mount it? Also, can you get glass plates for end caps on 4" or 6"?
Side mount using an 90° elbow coming out the side?
If so, you're gonna need to support the imbalanced weight. A column filled with glass marbles is heavy!

I'm pretty sure they make looking glasses in 6" TC. But it's dark inside, you'd need a light too.

Or make a useful port out of it. Not sure what to use it for, though...

good idea, i often wish i had a thermometer in my boil kettle as well as the top of my column.....but from the picture, it looks like that thing wasn't even a hole in the lid?

and i only have a 3" column tri-clamp system? and that was high capacity when i bought it?

Side mount using an 90° elbow coming out the side?
If so, you're gonna need to support the imbalanced weight. A column filled with glass marbles is heavy!

i've always used copper scrubby things, i've seen rashing rings used too....But i don't even pack it when i'm making something like whiskey in a pot still config...only when i'm trying to pull 92+% on the first run for vodka or something?

(and it looks like the keg has a 2-3" hook up on the top already? why not just use it?

something like this?

https://brewhaus.com/essential-extractor-pro-series-ii-keg-kit/

1# 90° elbow is a no go. I'd just weld it flush to the keg.
2# that still is similar to what I've build, liebig and 850mm x 54mm column.

Latest posts

Back