Hello!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

t.r.galt

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I am new here. I would like to start brewing full grain. It would be my first time brewing. Over the past year I have accumulated all my necessary equipment. Any advice?

-Dan

This is a great place for advice and encouragement. Just read the threads, post your questions and contribute as you learn more. Good luck.

I have everything I can think of. I have done tons of research. I have spoken to the local homebrew shop, the local club members, read a book, watched many vids on you tube, and have been viewing this site for a month. I did not want to even boil water until I had all my bases covered. The local brew shop owner came off as arrogant when he told me I not to even bother and just start with what he called a 'hamburger helper kit'. I consider myself resourceful and capable. I will be brewing outside. My brother and I fabricated the immersion chiller.

Thanks for the advice everyone. I look forward to brewing and sharing.

In Hoc Signo Vices: BEEEEEEEER!!!!!!

If you want to start your first batch as an all grain batch......
then more power to you. It is not that much more difficult. And if you have the equipment (as you say you do) then you are set. GO FOR IT.:rockin:

And yes, brew Edwort's Haus Pale Ale. You will find it in the recipe database under american ales. It is simple and delicious. Use this recipe for your first few batches to dial in your brewery before you move on to more difficult/complex brews. Just my 2 cents.

I did my first a few weeks ago. It was much easier than I thought. I chose a full 2 row recipe and German hops and yeast. It was the lightest grain I could get ahold of. I batch sparged and even drained much faster than I wanted to. It is ready for secondary now and looks good.

Advice: write out the steps and the time. Use a timer and check your thermometer prior to know how far off it is. I ended up mashing a little hotter since I had a thermometer that was reading cool. I put 2 others in near the end of the mash. I thought it was 152 and both read 158.

Back