Minnesota Hello!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Immocles

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hey folks,
Any folks in south centralish MN have any suggestions on a home-brew store? Google shows one in Mankato but I've heard its more focused on equipment and winemaking and everything else appears to be in the metro. Cities is about a two hour drive, so I tend to just order from NB since its delivered within a day and a half. A friend of mine, who also just took up the hobby, and I are looking for a field trip, but I'd prefer to avoid the metro area. Any oasis' in this desert?

If you're anywhere near Rochester, we have two. Northwest Liquor store (the one close to Sam's Club) and the Pine Cheese Mart in Pine Island, about 8 miles up Highway 52. Both are good. NWL has better prices on bags of grain, PCM has a bigger selection of equipment and specialty items, and a lot more wine supplies.

I've been to the one in Mankato once, but it was a couple years ago. They have the basics, but I do remember it being more focused on wine making. Sioux Falls has a couple stores (Steins & Vines, and Taylor's), if that's not too far out of the way.

If you go to the cities, Northern on Lyndale is probably closest and just a few blocks off 35W.

Thanks for the replies.
Rochester is a few hours off, although I'd never have to turn off Hwy14 haha.
I do plan on swinging through Northern when we end up in the cities next, probably sometime in mid march. My original starter kit gift was born there, and its closeness is very convenient for online orders too. Sometimes it is just nice to be able to go and browse somewhere in person though.

You can always do a two-pronged approach: go to the nearest LHBS for the basics, and order the rest online. A few online brew stores have free shipping on orders above a certain amount.

My wife and I found ourselves in Mankato today for a few errands and we decided to stop in the Beer and Wine Creations store. I really just wanted to see if they had a couple oz of azacca hops on hand since I burned through mine. Its a small store, but had more than I would have expected after looking on their website. I was pleasantly surprised with the experience and walked out with a few other additional items. Mostly basic stuff, but not as wine focused as I had heard from several people. I didn't get a chance to wander around for a super long time though. Prices were fair, very comparative to online. Some stuff cheaper, some stuff slightly more. I'd buy from them again.

I also checked out The Hop Shop in St Cloud about a month ago while I was waiting for my dad to finish a VA appointment. It was super easy to find (apparently they're moving) but seemed pretty...sparse. He also had that "Back in 20 minutes" sign on his door for about 2 and a half hours. I hope that was simply from having low inventory due to an imminent move to another location. The guy was super nice and helpful when I finally got in, and I find myself up there a few times a year with my father, so I'd like to give him business.

Back