Hello, getting back in the saddle ... and bucked off:)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bellhp

Reaction score
Hi , names Rich ... I started brewing in 1991 (extract) I Read Papazians "Complete joy of homebrewing" dove right in and never made a bad beer , just some I liked better than others .
Just started homebrewing again after 20 odd years and my first batch out of the gate(Irish red) was garbage ... it was my fault and I ended up with sour beer .
second batch( scottish wee heavy ) is 3 weeks in the bottle and although tasty it is under carbonated . OK ... tomorrow I try again ( German Alt), hopefully third times the charm ...wish me luck.

Welcome back to the madness we call a hobby. Maybe try a simple pale ale to get your processes worked out. Sanitation is of the up most importance. While ingredients are important, temperature and time also play a critical role also. Following Charlie's directions you should be able to make a very drinkable homebrew.

Cheers

Welcome to the forum, I had a year layoff from brewing and when I got back to it, my rust showed on the first few batches. Though I did manage to get a 3rd place ribbon on one. Anyway, there’s many experienced brewers here willing to share info if you have questions. May your next beer be all you hope for!

we call a hobby.

like scientology, i take brewingolgy seriously, and consider a religon, AND lifestyle!

and @bellhp , in '91, i barley knew how to unzip a zip file!

Welcome! and may all your brews be as sour, salty, sweet, bitter as you want your personality in the future! whatever fits the mood... :mug:

Last edited:
Thanks Everyone , The Wee heavy's are carbonated nicely now and delicious , problem is not drinking them all before they reach full potential I'm sure these would be really good aged for a while ... but beer dies young at my house . The Alt is gurgling happily.
was never really a pale ale fan but do want to brew some sort of session ale / mild that is quick to condition and cheaper to brew .

Thanks Everyone , The Wee heavy's are carbonated nicely now and delicious , problem is not drinking them all before they reach full potential I'm sure these would be really good aged for a while ... but beer dies young at my house . The Alt is gurgling happily.
was never really a pale ale fan but do want to brew some sort of session ale / mild that is quick to condition and cheaper to brew .
A good quaffable beer in the pipeline is always good to have. Mine is a super light American lager with grain, minute rice and a bit of torrified wheat for head retention. Super light on the hop schedule and the neighborhood demolishes it. Actually. I’m about to mash in right now on that exact beer! I’m glad the wee heavies turned out!!!! Now you need to convince the wife that a 5 tap kegerator setup isn’t a want but a need lol

no need to get fancy, just a 10 gallon keg and mini fridge.... :mug:
Nothing wrong with that! I should move up in size of kegs. I got a screaming deal on a keezer and 6- 5 gallon kegs, two new co2 tanks, two regulators and enough extras to re plumb the whole thing. So I’m stuck with 5 gallon kegs for the time being

Nothing wrong with that! I should move up in size of kegs. I got a screaming deal on a keezer and 6- 5 gallon kegs, two new co2 tanks, two regulators and enough extras to re plumb the whole thing. So I’m stuck with 5 gallon kegs for the time being

sounds like my setup...i'm just missing the second co2 tank, so i can get my 4th fridge converted to my other room's kegerator...

i was just trying to simplify for bellhp, doesn't need to be complicated!

sounds like my setup...i'm just missing the second co2 tank, so i can get my 4th fridge converted to my other room's kegerator...

i was just trying to simplify for bellhp, doesn't need to be complicated!
LOL YUP!!! The Mrs. looked at me crazy when I said I’m not getting rid of the little two tap Danby kegerator. I told her we need space for more kegs and more selection. All she asked was that I keep Brandon O’s graff on tap at all times. Gladly, if it means more space taken up by my brewing disorder as it’s called here

you don't have a dedicated room to sort and store you grains and hops? ;)
Oh I do! Used to be my “leather room” but I’ve gotten out of leather working. It turned into a job as opposed to a hobby that I did enjoy. So the leather room turned into the brew room and slowly we are getting it all converted over so that we can have a sort of lounge in there. I’d love to get my 220 run into there and pickup a steam condenser so I could brew inside, but the hotrod shop works just fine since it’s heated and cooled, just a bit of a chore bringing in a full fermenter through the back yard. We will see how winter here in CO treats that

No worries ...topic is still beer ,right ? I used to have a bunch of cornelius kegs ... gave them to a friend who was still brewing during my hiatus ( quit brewing when my kids were born ) I could ask for them back but bottling is not a problem , just bought new capper so all is well there.
looking to try small batch BIAB for my cheap quaffing beer , just a good base grain and english hops nothing fancy ... maybe some crystal malt. I've got a 5 gal brewpot for now . I have crawfish boilers and could get a bigger pot and move outside but want to stay on stovetop for now.
got one more kit to play with first then I'll either go buy bulk DME or bulk grain . I've got more reading to do on the BIAB thing ... looks pretty no brainer just got to see what I can get away with on the stovetop ... I've got 1,3,5 and 6 gallon carboys

Back