Hello from Newfoundland!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Welcome to HBT. I have to be honest, when I read your title it had me puzzled. I was very familiar with the dog breed but never actually knew where Newfoundland was. I don't recall hearing of this country in my elementary school geography class. Well a quick Google search later I now know that Newfoundland is a Canadian province. Thanks for the geography lesson and again welcome to HBT.

I don't see an ingredient list or instructions on their website. What are you mashing?
20230319_115245.jpg

Ah, I see, because of the Dextrin Malt!^

Are you're planning to mash those 2 together in a small pot with 1.5 liter of water?
If so, you can keep that at around 65°C in a prewarmed (but turned off) oven for 30' to an hour.

Ah, I see, because of the Dextrin Malt!^

Are you're planning to mash those 2 together in a small pot with 1.5 liter of water?
If so, you can keep that at around 65°C in a prewarmed (but turned off) oven for 30' to an hour.
I'm following along with the provided instructions. Got my water warming up now and have all my equipment sanitized.
20230319_123900.jpg

I'm following along with the provided instructions. Got my water warming up now and have all my equipment sanitized.
It will probably work fine, but it's not the best way for mashing. Kit instructions tend to make it easy, but not optimal.
Just so you know, there's a distinct difference between steeping and mashing. 2 different processes, each with a different purpose.

But definitely make sure to keep those "mashing" temps between 150 and 155F, not any higher.

It will probably work fine, but it's not the best way for mashing. Kit instructions tend to make it easy, but not optimal.
Just so you know, there's a distinct difference between steeping and mashing. 2 different processes, each with a different purpose.

But definitely make sure to keep those "mashing" temps between 150 and 155F, not any higher.
I realized after, there was no mash portion in the instructions. Just the steep. I managed to keep it at or around 155.

Back