Hello from Mobile, AL

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beernutz

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hello all from sunny and humid Mobile, Alabama. I may have set a record on HBT as I created my account in 2007 and didn't make my first post until 2013! But I'm making up for that lapse by becoming a premium member this year and I recommend you all do the same if you haven't yet. That lapse of interest was because after about 7 years of not brewing due to my state's failure to legalize homebrewing combined with my paranoia I'm back in the mix after Alabama at long last earlier this year became the last state to decriminalize this wonderful hobby.

I first started brewing in 1991 after going to a lesson at a health food store in Memphis, TN. I brewed one batch of extract before switching to all-grain brewing which I've stuck with ever since. Chuck Skypeck, the guy who did the lesson while working at the store, later became one of the founders of Boscos www.boscosbeer.com where he is still VP of brewing operations. So after my 7 year brewing hiatus I'm now back off the wagon and gearing up again, only bigger and better this time. First up is building a keezer and modifying an old stainless steel natural gas grill into a single tier brewing structure.

I've already got the ok from the boss to convert our dining room to a billiards room complete with a keezer and at the same time I'm also working on envisioning some type of brewing structure. I have to interrupt myself here to say that I did really well in the picking bosses department. In addition to the dining room conversion approval, about four years ago after more than 20 years of marriage, out of the blue she asks me, "Why don't we have a boat?" After regaining consciousness and kissing her, I got started looking right away and we've been boaters ever since.

For my brewing setup previously I just used a propane bayou cooker with a 15 gallon aluminum boiling pot and did my mashing on the kitchen stove using an old aluminum turkey fryer pot with an easymasher installed. I used this even for 10 gallon batches but now I'm shooting for something a little less homespun and less challenging on the back. I have a nice grain mill, the Maltmill, by the same guy who makes the easymasher and a bunch of other miscellaneous brewing paraphernalia I've accumulated such as a counter pressure bottle filler.

First up in my new brewing life is converting an old Sam's Club Grand Hall SS natural gas three burner + side burner grill I'm no longer using to a single tier brewing structure. The grill is very sturdy, it has wheels, and I've got two brand new burners I've never even installed as the three main original ones are pretty much gone. I am considering removing the grill lid and I may also use my grinder to take off the 'lips' which extend upward from the grill area to which the lid is attached in order to expand the surface area where pots can be placed. It has been fun envisioning the setup and implementation of this apparatus.

After that I'm buying a black Kenmore 8.8cf chest freezer to make a dual hinged collared keezer with four Perlicks. I previously kegged and have 6 pin lock kegs and some cobra taps plus a small jockey box to use to take kegs away from the home base but I want a more permanent and presentable fixture and the keezer looks like just the ticket.

All this new brewing stuff is going on at the same time my wife and I are converting a laundry room to a mud room and converting the storage room to a laundry room while also making some major deck renovations so it is a bit of a madhouse here at the moment. Wouldn't have it any other way though.

Welcome back to The Hobby! I just got started this year and can't stop thinking about what to brew next, what to add to my set up or how to improve it. Love your enthusiasm for brewing! Of course it's always an added bonus when the Boss is on board with your hobby, AND getting a BOAT!!!

Welcome back to The Hobby! I just got started this year and can't stop thinking about what to brew next, what to add to my set up or how to improve it. Love your enthusiasm for brewing! Of course it's always an added bonus when the Boss is on board with your hobby, AND getting a BOAT!!!

Thanks! My next brew is actually one of the few things I really haven't thought much about, although I did buy some ingredients to try a generic lager and to brew my wife's favorite beer, a spiced Christmas ale. You've got to keep the stakeholders happy!

If I could safely combine boating and brewing I'd be in nirvana although the Coast Guard and Marine Police here tend to frown on mixing the two too much so that's probably a pipe dream. But it is great that my better half is on board for both my obsessions.

In Mobile also. Just started earlier this year and loving this new hobby. Just received 4 perlicks and associated hardware for the same freezer and hope to have it operational in a couple of weeks. We're lucky to have a great LHBS close by that's helped me out a bunch. It does help that it's legal now.
Cheers!

In Mobile also. Just started earlier this year and loving this new hobby. Just received 4 perlicks and associated hardware for the same freezer and hope to have it operational in a couple of weeks. We're lucky to have a great LHBS close by that's helped me out a bunch. It does help that it's legal now.
Cheers!

That's fantastic, welcome to a great lifetime hobby and good luck with your keezer build.

I'm going to have to check out that LHBS as I have never been to that one on Moffett and was surprised to see on their website that they'd been around since 2001. I moved to Mobile in 1999 and brewed here until 2006 and typically bought my gear and ingredients from morebeer or other online retailers so its good to know that there is a quality store in town. If you ever get a chance to check out the store in Pelham called Alabrew I highly recommend it. The owner is (or was the last time I visited about 8 years ago) very personable and helpful and they had a boatload of products in the store. Unfortunately they have one of the worst websites for a brewstore I've ever seen but the B&M store was very nice.

Many years ago I went to a LHBS down on Spring Hill Blvd which wasn't very good (no offence if you know the owner) as they carried very little grain and mostly a bunch of dusty extract cans, their yeast all looked out of date and poorly cared for, and they weren't particularly helpful or friendly. After visiting them I decided to just buy everything online.

Although I'm PM/extract now, they carry a good inventory of grains and are happy to help put together recipes. Decent prices and will crush for you also. Limited hours but it's close to the golf course I play on Saturday morning and they are open then. Good stock of equipment also.

I will gladly swap back. What do you do for a living? I am sure you can do my job...everybody thinks they can. ;)

I will gladly swap back. What do you do for a living? I am sure you can do my job...everybody thinks they can. ;)

Well many people think my job is a piece of cake as well so that might be doable. As to what I do, a hint is that I work in an ivory tower. Unfortunately I have gotten used to Mobile now and the wife and kids would probably want to stay here even if I left.

Sounds like you've got a solid handle on getting started. Happy SWMBO, happy brewing.

You might want to look @ the BTUs of a grill vs. buying burners. Brewing specific burners put out a lot more heat, which significantly shortens the brew day. Welcome, from CO.

Sounds like you've got a solid handle on getting started. Happy SWMBO, happy brewing.

You might want to look @ the BTUs of a grill vs. buying burners. Brewing specific burners put out a lot more heat, which significantly shortens the brew day. Welcome, from CO.

Thanks and you are so right wrt SWMBO. I am going to give the grill a chance to prove itself. I still have my bayou propane cooker if things don't work out between us.

Hi, make sure to keep in good graces with the SWMBO by her picking the next brew, wine or mead, then make something just for her to enjoy.

As it turns out you were exactly right. Once I got the grill put back together it worked great--as a grill. As a brewing structure, not so much. The biggest problem was what you predicted: lack of BTUs. The grill puts a small flame over a very wide area and unless you start with very hot water takes forever to heat water in my HLT to strike temp even with two burners lit under it. I didn't even attempt to boil on it but instead pulled out my trusty old Bayou propane cooker and used that.

So I'm back to the drawing board but leaning heavily towards building something like "Wallace", the weldless brewing structure.

To follow up on my own post, I just ordered pre-cut strut and fittings to make a single-tier, two station brew structure from strutchannelfittings.com (use coupon code save for 10% off) which I plan to fit with two natural gas burners. Eventually I'd like to ad a PID to control mash temps but for now this should do nicely.

I've got to admit I held off on brewing due to paranoia as well but now I'm all in. Awesome to see other home brewers in Mobile.

Back