Hello from Maryland

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Redskins838892 said:
Yea, i suppose the instate tuition is a benefit. I am not planning on going back to school as soon as i get out of the navy though. UMD is nearly impossible for someone like myself to get into these days.

Mule,

what branch of the service were you in?
I was in the Army. My MOS was 74B - Information Systems - I used to be a nerd with an M249 LOL !!!!:rockin:

Redskins838892 said:
Yea, i suppose the instate tuition is a benefit. I am not planning on going back to school as soon as i get out of the navy though. UMD is nearly impossible for someone like myself to get into these days.

It's not impossible if you are coming out of the military. Usually these schools will let you in because you would be considered a non-standard student. When I got out of the Army I was 24 years old so I was above the age of a standard student (I think the cut off was 23 years old). That meant they let me in without having to take SATs or ACTs and without being involved in a competitive process. That was good for me considering I coasted through high school on average to below average grades. I would suggest using that GI Bill as soon as you can.

:off: :off: Thanks for the info. My plan is to work full time and go to school a few nights of the week. I just cannot see myself going to school full time as i would probably have to move back in with my parents. I have some pretty great skills that i aquired in the navy and there are a bunch of jobs in the DC metro area that i would be perfect it for. If i had it my way, i would not even worry about getting a degree because i think most degrees are bullcrap, but these days it seems to be a a desired qualifyer, if not a required qualifyer for most decent jobs. There are not many degrees out there where you will actually use the stuff you learn in college. Lots of people tell me companies want people with degrees because a degree is something the person had to earn and it shows they are not dirtbags. My six years of honorable service in the navy and numerous individual awards should equal a degree IMO. Whoppty doo if i never took History 101. Alright, i need to stop, i could go on all day about how i think college education is a scam for the most part. (Note: IMO, Some jobs do require a college education, like scientists, doctors, economists, etc.)

Redskins838892 said:
:off: :off: Thanks for the info. My plan is to work full time and go to school a few nights of the week. I just cannot see myself going to school full time as i would probably have to move back in with my parents. I have some pretty great skills that i aquired in the navy and there are a bunch of jobs in the DC metro area that i would be perfect it for. If i had it my way, i would not even worry about getting a degree because i think most degrees are bullcrap, but these days it seems to be a a desired qualifyer, if not a required qualifyer for most decent jobs. There are not many degrees out there where you will actually use the stuff you learn in college. Lots of people tell me companies want people with degrees because a degree is something the person had to earn and it shows they are not dirtbags. My six years of honorable service in the navy and numerous individual awards should equal a degree IMO. Whoppty doo if i never took History 101. Alright, i need to stop, i could go on all day about how i think college education is a scam for the most part. (Note: IMO, Some jobs do require a college education, like scientists, doctors, economists, etc.)

Don't hate on school to hard. You have a lot of good points but the big picture should include some school. Most kids that are 18 years old are clueless about the world and what they want in life. They're forced to think that a degree is the only path to success. What a military man/woman finds during their career is their drive and goals. This is what I found during my term. But now I realize that if I am going to make it up the ladder, I must get some school under my belt.

Look man, just sayin'

BTW - Given that you have served six years, I am sure you have already seen the light somewhat.

Go Redskins ! - Next year

Cheers

MULE said:
They're forced to think that a degree is the only path to success. What a military man/woman finds during their career is their drive and goals. This is what I found during my term. But now I realize that if I am going to make it up the ladder, I must get some school under my belt.

Cheers

Yea i totally agree with that. I remember when i was in highschool and that college thing was so crammed down our throats. And school is certainly in the plans. I certainly do not regret not going to college. I have a ton of friends who all got their degrees and they are either working crap minimum wage jobs or wanting to do something else that requires a different type of degree. At least now i know what i want to do for a living and i can persue that. I had no friggin clue before i joined the military.

I would agree on calling Dogfish Head Grille mecca. I'm thinking about going there tomorrow. SWMBO is going out of town and I have nothing else to do so why not. It's either that or Hank's which is right up the street, but doesn't really fit well when trying to find a decent brew.

Um, OK, I'll bite: what the heck is a SWMBO? :)

I have duel citizenship: raised in Maryland, live in Maine, love both places.
Love HB too. Actually brew more than I can drink:( My wife won't touch the styles I like, and also hates the smell of the house on brew day. Even our your daughters don't like like the scent. I think it smells like the nectar of the gods:D

I have duel citizenship: raised in Maryland, live in Maine, love both places.
Love HB too. Actually brew more than I can drink:( My wife won't touch the styles I like, and also hates the smell of the house on brew day. Even our your daughters don't like like the scent. I think it smells like the nectar of the gods:D

I'm sorry to hear the women in your family don't like the smell....

Where do you stay when you are in MD? You military?

where are allof these maryland brewers coming from?

From Solomons Island by the Chesapeake Bay here! I brewed as a kid of 18 in Pennsylvania where I could legally make the stuff under federal law, but couldn't drink it because of Pennsylvania law. I made my father a very happy man however. :)

Now, 28 years later (Jesus! Am I that old? Yikes) I'm on my second batch in as many months. This forum has really made a lot of difference for me, in putting out lots of excellent information about this hobby and passion of ours.

I'm sorry to hear the women in your family don't like the smell....

Where do you stay when you are in MD? You military?

I grew up in Montgomery county. I lived in Kensington, Aspen Hill, and Olney, went to Sherwood High. I would probably visit and stay in those areas that are familiar. I have stayed in Baltimore a few times, Rockville, Silver Springs. I'm still an Orioles fan (even though I live in Red Sox Nation) so I try to get down there now and then. My family has never really been to my "ol stomp'n grounds" so I may take them down this summer. I would like to do a drinking tour -er I mean patronize some of the local public houses while I'm there :rockin:

No, not military. Should have been...

I grew up in Montgomery county. I lived in Kensington, Aspen Hill, and Olney, went to Sherwood High. I would probably visit and stay in those areas that are familiar.

I'm sure you'd be surprised at how the area's changed if you haven't been there recently, especially with the ICC construction.

I would like to do a drinking tour -er I mean patronize some of the local public houses while I'm there :rockin:
They just opened a Gordon Biersch in Rockville last year, near 28 and 355. It's nice. :mug:

Cheers!

I'm sure you'd be surprised at how the area's changed if you haven't been there recently...

Sadly, I think that can be said of nearly everywhere in MD. I used to live in rural PG county, and it's ridiculously developed now. You couldn't PAY me to go back there.

Sadly, I think that can be said of nearly everywhere in MD. I used to live in rural PG county, and it's ridiculously developed now. You couldn't PAY me to go back there.

Always said that the deer in PG have less to worry about getting shot than the people do. :confused: My wife used to go to U of MD, glad she's done with that. :drunk:

PG not so bad, there are sketchy areas everywhere, you should visit Franklin's brewpub in downtown Hyattsville. great beer

Back