Hello from Long Island, NY!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wall-O-Withnail

Reaction score
Hey there! New to this forum, but not to mead...

Had a question about brewing. I just made up a 5 gal batch of mead yesterday, using a recipe I never tried before. As it turned out, it made more must than would fit in my carboy... so I put the extra in a small glass jug with its own air lock. Both are bubbling away happily today... but it occurred to me to wonder if that small container will finish more quickly than the 5 gal carboy? Exactly the same must, with same yeast & nutrients, just in a smaller container.
Thoughts?

Welcome aboard! (Also Long Island)
I haven't made mead, but I think they will ferment about the same rate. I've read of brewers using a test jar to determine when the main batch was finished.

Thanks! We shall see - both containers are progressing nicely, so far. This is also the first time I have tried it without simmering the must... it's an adventure all 'round!

Welcome to the forum from Alabama. Your meads will finish relatively about the same time however due to the vast difference in volumes you can expect the 5 gal carboy to take a slight bit longer.

Welcome to the forum from Alabama. Your meads will finish relatively about the same time however due to the vast difference in volumes you can expect the 5 gal carboy to take a slight bit longer.
Thanks! Best thing about making mead (aside from the drinking bit) is watching it grow, get its first job, and go to college... :cool:

Back