Hello from Hampton NH

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TrubDude

Reaction score
Hi, I'm a new member and have been brewing for about 5 months. My first batch was a stout where I over sanitized everything, but it still came out well. Next batches were wheat ale and a Peaky Blinder black IPA clone. Everything has come out well but has a slight burned taste or something else I can't quite pin point.

I have a few questions as a beginner:

-Is it ok to re-use bottle caps if they are properly sanitized and not punctured? I've done this a couple times without problems. I prefer re-used caps because they're already in the right shape. I can pop them on then seal with my capper.
-How long does bottle fermentation take/how long can it go before exploding? My first two batches were carbonated in three days (to the amount I preferred). The third batch took almost two weeks.
-When should yeast start producing CO2 in the airlock? The quickest I saw bubbles was about 12 hours.
-To increase ABV is it recommended to add priming (corn) sugar? If so, how much (oz)?

Thanks! Looking forward to many brews. I love creating things whether it's cooking, making beef jerky, beer, building video game consoles, artwork, or music.

When I was considering getting into home brewing I asked some friends if they wanted to make a batch with me. The worst response I got was "I don't think I could brew a beer better than something I could buy." Whether true or not, most of the fun is learning something new and taking pride in making it yourself.

Welcome to the forum, from Minnesota!

How can you over-sanitize? :) So many new brewers under-sanitize and find out the hard way by getting an infected beer. (I did--twice!) If you use a good no-rinse sanitizer like Starsan, follow its directions and be diligent, you won't need to worry about under or over-doing the sanitation.

Re-using bottle caps is not a good idea, sanitation notwithstanding. They may not seal correctly. The process of removing them distorts the metal. They may appear fine, but they may cause tiny leaks when re-capped and you will get flat beer. Why cut corners on your hard-earned brew just to save a few bucks? Caps are just a consumable in brewing--use new ones every time.

Bottle fermentation times depend on the beer and amount of carbonation, temp, etc. Generally around 3 weeks if stored at room temp. They shouldn't explode unless you have 1) added too much priming sugar, and/or 2) you bottled before primary fermentation was complete. Bottle-bombs are serious and can hurt people. Use a priming calculator to determine the right amount of sugar to add. Going by weight is more reliable than volume for measuring priming sugar.

Airlock activity generally depends on the yeast--the type and how healthy it is. It can begin as soon as a few hours, but more typically in a day or two. Be patient, sometimes it takes a few days to see activity.

Adding sugar to boost ABV will also dry out the beer. This may be OK with some styles, certain Belgians, for instance. There are calculators online that can help you determine the right amount. But don't use added sugar as a one-size-fits-all method of boosting ABV. It's better to plan this out before brewing, by selecting the right amounts of base malt or extract to hit a certain gravity.

Finally, you CAN brew beer as good or better than commercial beers.

The process of removing them distorts the metal. They may appear fine, but they may cause tiny leaks when re-capped and you will get flat beer.
Ok, I'm sold. I'll use new caps each time. It wasn't as much a cost savings thing as ease of use. I'll use new caps for this batch. I'm doing an amber ale with three hops additions: Columbus, Amarillo, Willomette. Also during second fermentation I'll add some bitter orange peel. Might be weird but I'm trying to be creative.
Adding sugar to boost ABV will also dry out the beer.
I've done it successfully once before but you have a point. I'll see if there is a malt kit to target the FG I want.
you CAN brew beer as good or better than commercial beers.
Mine have been really good, and I'm just starting out.

The batch I have going now is cruising, bubbles every three seconds. I heard bubbles a few hours after transfer. I did add too much water by accident because I filled to the wrong line. Hopefully that doesn't screw things up. I'm sure it will still be good.

Thanks for the help.

Three-piece airlock? If so, you're ok on water level as long as it's not up to the top of the inner tube (you don't want to get suck-back if you cold-crash). However, you can use Starsan for your airlocks. No infection problem if it sucks some into the fermenter, and a small amount of the sanitizer won't hurt your beer.

That amber ale sounds delicious. Curious to hear how the bitter orange complements those hops--keep us posted. Looks like you're getting off to a great start!

Three-piece airlock?
S type.
487135-866f3f2443a8f9ad9069bb32a2f3c978.jpg

I did get some beer sucked up into the air lock this morning. After cleaning it out there wasn't any more sucked into the airlock. I did Starsan the airlock prior but didn't put the solution into it while sitting on the fermenter (hopefully that makes sense).

Looks like you're getting off to a great start!
Thanks MaxStout! The guy I see who owns the store is kinda hard on me sometimes, but in a constructive way. I was kinda short on time and just bought a kit and sugar. He said "you know, you can get creative with this stuff, try more yeast or different hops." So I took his advice and tried something new. If it works well then I would like to give them out as Christmas gifts.

Welcome to the forum, from Minnesota!

How can you over-sanitize? :) So many new brewers under-sanitize and find out the hard way by getting an infected beer. (I did--twice!) If you use a good no-rinse sanitizer like Starsan, follow its directions and be diligent, you won't need to worry about under or over-doing the sanitation.

I didn't answer your over-sanitize question. I didn't kill yeast or anything, I just spent too long letting the sanitizer have contact time. I was just being careful. It was the first batch with new equipment, where sanitizing would be less important because there aren't scratches in the bucket for bacteria to live.

Welcome aboard from a fellow NH brewer! I'm assuming you are using Homebrew Barn? Good store but can be a bit limited in what he has. If you end up in Portsmouth highly recommend A&G...good selection.

Looks like you've gotten your questions answered and I'll second not reusing caps! You could always make it real easy on yourself and just keg. :D

I didn't answer your over-sanitize question. I didn't kill yeast or anything, I just spent too long letting the sanitizer have contact time. I was just being careful. It was the first batch with new equipment, where sanitizing would be less important because there aren't scratches in the bucket for bacteria to live.

Don't worry about letting the sanitizer have too much contact time. I don't know what kind you use--Starsan only requires 2 minutes, IIRC. You can soak stuff in it much longer, won't hurt. In fact, I disassemble the plastic spigot from my bottling bucket and store it in a jar of starsan between uses, just because that is a tough item to keep sanitized. Plastic items like that, and tubing, buckets, etc., can be a point of infection if you're not careful. One of my bad batches likely got infected from tubing or the spigot during bottling. I'm a bit paranoid about this, but no infected beers in several years.

In any case, it's good that you're big on sanitation. It is so important in home brewing.

I like that your LHBS guy is encouraging you to experiment, rather than be content to simply sell you kits. There are a million ways you can go in this hobby, something that makes it rewarding. Painting within the lines can get boring. :D

Welcome aboard from a fellow NH brewer! I'm assuming you are using Homebrew Barn? Good store but can be a bit limited in what he has. If you end up in Portsmouth highly recommend A&G...good selection.

Looks like you've gotten your questions answered and I'll second not reusing caps! You could always make it real easy on yourself and just keg. :D
Yes, Good ol Kirby. So far I've found what I wanted but will check out the other place. Thanks for the recommendation.

I just checked out kegerators. Have you tried them?

Don't worry about letting the sanitizer have too much contact time. I don't know what kind you use--Starsan only requires 2 minutes, IIRC. You can soak stuff in it much longer, won't hurt. In fact, I disassemble the plastic spigot from my bottling bucket and store it in a jar of starsan between uses, just because that is a tough item to keep sanitized. Plastic items like that, and tubing, buckets, etc., can be a point of infection if you're not careful. One of my bad batches likely got infected from tubing or the spigot during bottling. I'm a bit paranoid about this, but no infected beers in several years.

In any case, it's good that you're big on sanitation. It is so important in home brewing.

I like that your LHBS guy is encouraging you to experiment, rather than be content to simply sell you kits. There are a million ways you can go in this hobby, something that makes it rewarding. Painting within the lines can get boring. :D
I used to work in biotech as a lab technician so I know a lot about microorganisms. I always wash my hands before, give everything a good contact time and rinse thoroughly. Anything that contacts the beer and is not boiled I sanitize.

Yeah, my local guy is great. I learned a lot from him and he wants me to think outside the box. It's easy to get comfortable with good tasting beer each time but you really only learn something original if you try and fail. Really challenge yourself.

Transferred to secondary yesterday. Gravity of 1.012 after 5 days. ABV of 4.99%, pretty good for the kit. Tasted excellent and hoppy.
1124171553.jpg

Latest posts

Back