Hello everyone, looking to start brewing some beer in chicago

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
It's good to find a beer brewing forum that's actually active. My name is Dave and I'm trying to break into home brewing. I just graduated college and don't know the first thing about brewing beer but I'm really excited to start learning. Any tips on how to get started? Any other Chicago based brewers out there?

Welcome!

There are quite a few Chicagoland brewers here; mostly in the 'burbs it seems. If you're in the city, you'll be stunned at the lack of homebrew shops...there's Bev Art down on the south side, and that's about it, city-wise. So be prepared to order most of your stuff online, or do a lot of driving.

No matter, though...you'll still make good beer :mug:

I think you may have just found you active forum UnpasteriedImpatience. This is by far the coolest community, not to mention incredibly educated bunch of drunks that you are likely to find out there on the interweb.

Welcome. I have been here for a month and this is definitely a very active forum. Lots of great info on here.

I was in Chicago last month. Saw the Cubs beat the Yankees. We sat in first row behind the Cubs dug out...drank beer at the Cubbie Bear and ate Chicago dogs. Great day!

Hey thanksfor the link justdave, I spent over an hour last night reading through that thing and definately learned a thing or two.So far off to a good start!
Bike n brew, is Bev Art the full name of that place? I think i'm gonna go check it out, maybe hang out a bit and talk to some people there. I really wanna dive into the homebrewing scene.

Also, I was at the bar last night and picked up a copy of the Great Lakes Brewing News. This is a great newspaper chock full of info on the brewing scene around the GL region. It had a lot of events listed, but most have already happened. Anybody know the next big brewing events happening in the chicagoland area?

There's a great store called Brew and Grow located at Cortland and Elston. They sell everything you need to brew and can order you anything they don't have on hand.
Have fun.
My friends and I just started brewing a few month ago, just got our 4th batch started the other day. Our first two batches turned out really well.
The people that work at Brew and Grow are very knowledgeable and eager to teach so ask them anything you can think of. Go there on Saturday and the brew master is usually cooking up something good and of course, he always has samples on hand.

Back