Helles Bock Conditioning Questions...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xinunix

Reaction score
So I brewed a Helles Bock, OG: 1.069 but I used US-05 instead of a lager yeast. Trying to decide what to do with it in terms of conditioning times and temps, had I used a lager yeast I would just follow SOP for a lager.

It has been in the primary for 3 weeks at 64, should I secondary this style for another 3-4 weeks (or months???) at room temp then throw it in the keg and using set it and forget it approach to carb and age for another 2ish weeks?

Should I cold crash now and age at a lower temp (keep in mind I used an ale yeast instead of lager)?

Should I go ahead and put it in the keg (would be my first kegged brew) let it sit for 2 weeks at room temp, chill it, then carb it? Or cold crash prior to that sequence?

Just not sure where to go from here, most everything I have brewed to date is in the 1.04x range so I am usually 3 weeks in the primary, 3 weeks in bottle and done.

I know there is no right answer, just seeking advice from those with more experience, this being a bigger beer and now throwing the kegging into the mix has me a little uncertain on how to proceed...

When I know I'll be kegging a beer, I typically use the keg as a secondary. I usually let all of my beers ferment for 3-4 weeks in primary and then either bottle them or keg them. I allow my bottles to sit for a few months depending on the gravity and I do the same with kegs. If I were you, I'd keg it, seal it, and allow it to sit for a few months before chilling and carbonating.

Being a lager recipe has no effect on how you ferment since you used ale yeast. You should condition it as you would a typical ale.

Back