Heirloom Barley varieties

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crazytwoknobs

Reaction score
Apparently there are Heirloom varieties of barley around, I was just wondering if anyone knew anything about how they perform in brewing.

We would need to know which heirloom variety you are looking at, but look at it this way, barley breeders have been optimizing certain traits for malting for over a hundred years. Klages, which was developed in 1974, is almost non-existent today. Gives you some idea of how fast the improvements come.

I've planted heirloom tomatoes and never got a single tomato off of any of them!

there is also something to be said for genetic diversity. heirloom varieties are extremely important if a disease or insect pest effects a crop as they contain genetic diversity that has been breed out to exemplify a more desired trait. they may be what allows us to brew beer in another 50 years when changing climate makes our current varieties less fruitful......just something to chew on while...

I am growing up some bere from a small amount of seeds. I'll have enough next year to brew a 5 gal batch.

Latest posts

Back