heinekin bottles caps not fitting right

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Krausen89

Reaction score
I have just bottled some homebrew. some in clear cider bottles (strongbow) and the others are in green heinekin bottles. The strongbow bottles capped fine and left a ring on the top of the cap as they usually do. With the heinekin bottles the caps didnt leave the ring and are loose enough to spin and just pop.the off with my fingers..... are these the bottles? The caps? My capper? Anyone else have this problem?

Well if I remember right, Heineken bottles have a short collar and I'm guessing you have a wing capper. The capper operates by grabbing the bottom of the collar with the two crescent shaped pieces of metal and pulling the bell down over the cap and crown of the bottle. Having the collar be shorter than other bottles it doesn't pull the bell over the cap far enough.

Solutions would be: use different bottles with tall collars or Get a bench capper.

You could also just push down really hard on your wing capper to get the bell to set down further on the cap. This would risk breaking your capper or bottles and ruining your precious beverage! I have done this many times and all I can say is be careful using this method and rotate your bottles 90 degrees and put the capper back on again

Thanks. Im just gonna let the cider in the green bottles sit and drink them still. There is only like 5 or 6 of them. I do remember being able to buy a different bell for my capper?. Maybe thats what its for.

Thanks. Im just gonna let the cider in the green bottles sit and drink them still. There is only like 5 or 6 of them. I do remember being able to buy a different bell for my capper?. Maybe thats what its for.

That won't help.

If you want to be able to use the bottles with the short collars, get a bench capper. I was a happy man when I retired the wing capper and began using the Agata Super bench capper.

Back