Height for home growing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ong

Reaction score
So, last year my four year old hops pulled down the structure I had set up (which was 2" electrical conduit screwed to the sides of my shed, with a wire rope across the top).

This year I'm planning a new trellis, which will just be two freestanding 4x6" poles sunk 4' deep, with a wire rope across the top (and possibly guy wires to keep them stable).

My concern is about height, since I live in a fairly dense neighborhood. I've been planning to go 16' high, to get a good yield, but I'm a little worried about safety should they get blown over. How much will I compromise yield if I go to a 12' high structure? For reference, I collected about 7 lbs. dry weight last year, which is honestly a lot more than I need.

@Ong, I had a similar problem, and solved it with a helix.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=474201

My hops couldn't be visible from over my fence, which is a sucky requirement of the HOA. Solved this using a helical trellis design and compacted 30+ feet of growth into 6 feet of vertical height. The designs are in the link, should you be interested. I do not see any I'll effects of not growing vertically, and I'll yield roughly a pound per plant out of both year 1 and year 2. I'm trying different soil amendments this year to up my yields.

Peruse through, and maybe it will inspire an idea. It may solve a height and safety problem in your neighborhood.

You could also look into dwarf hops like First Gold (also called Prima Donna) Boadicia, Pioneer and Endeavor (although this one is rather new so may not be available) . I think they are about 10foot to 12 foot high

ALthough that would mean starting again and you may not like them :(

@Ong, I had a similar problem, and solved it with a helix.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=474201

My hops couldn't be visible from over my fence, which is a sucky requirement of the HOA. Solved this using a helical trellis design and compacted 30+ feet of growth into 6 feet of vertical height. The designs are in the link, should you be interested. I do not see any I'll effects of not growing vertically, and I'll yield roughly a pound per plant out of both year 1 and year 2. I'm trying different soil amendments this year to up my yields.

Peruse through, and maybe it will inspire an idea. It may solve a height and safety problem in your neighborhood.

Those plants looks amazing to me. Great job

Back