Hefewiezen too dry

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reddog66

Reaction score
We just put a hefewiezen in secondary and it finished out at 1.004. The starting gravity was 1.040. It tasted very dry. We actually had the White Labs 300 yeast which was a little past date, so we made a starter. Did we overpitch. Will it be drinkable after some time in secondary and in the keg for a while?

We mashed at 150 for one hour and have used the recipe before with better results. I'm thinking we didn't get good efficiency at sparge time. We put one pound of rice hulls in with 5 lb wheat and 3 lb 2 row. Last time we made this was a year ago and I think we were in the 1.050 range and we only put 1/2 lb rice hulls. I think we just didn't get the grain bed temp up enough when we sparged.

Just an observation...you only used 8 lbs of grain. That's equal to 4.8 lbs of DME.

I know most DME recipes require 6 lbs which comes out to 10 lbs grain, LME calls for 6.6 lbs.

It apprears your yeast didn't have enough sugar to take it to its limit (75% attentuation) and converted more of the available sugar to alcohol which resulted in the lower FG.

Back