hefeweizen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jrakich87

Reaction score
I'm very interested in making an IPA or hefeweizen for my 2nd batch, will the hefe take less time? I also want to do a partial grain batch next time, would one be easier for a first time?

An IPA will take a bit longer to finish than a hefe. I say brew what you like if an IPA is your gig go for it!! I am not a big hefe fan and have only brewed 1 a loooong time ago. I on that not have only brewed 1 IPA and I have it on tap here at the house. It has turned out to be one of my best beers, I just love it
Cheers
JJ

Hefe's are done faster and don't have to have a secondary because they will come out cloudy no matter what. If you do a Hefe, make sure you use a blow off tube.

i've only got a 6 gallon bucket, should I buy a better bottle for the hefe and maybe make the IPA in the bucket then transfer it to the BB when I bottle the hefe? make two at once? I want to streamline this process and have a few brews on hand instead of just one at a time

You can use the 6gal bucket fine for a hefe, just make 4-4.5g of wort/beer instead of 5-5.5g. That'll provide enough headroom that you shouldn't have an overflow issue.

For my last hefe I did 4.5g in a 6g bucket no problems whatsoever.

My last hefe was done in a 6 gal bucket w/ a 5 gal volume. I used Safale WB-06 and never even saw it hit the airlock. With Hefeweizen I generally leave it in the primary 10 days then bottle so they are quie a bit quicker to brew than other styles.

When you say partial grain are you mashing or just steeping the grains? If you are just steeping that is pretty easy and straight forward, and easy to do.

I'd steep them first... start off slow... I think I'm gonna stick to extracts for a few brews to develop some proficiency before moving on too quickly

If you are doing extract there is no reason not to steep. Put the grains in a muslin bag, bring the kettle to 155° add the grains. Then turn the heat off and let them sit for 15-20 min. Remove the bag rinse with a cup or so of 155° water and let it drip out completely. Don't squeeze it or anything though.

Quick, easy and adds a lot of fresh taste to the beer.

Back