Hefeweizen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PalmBeachPaul

Reaction score
Hi Guys, I looking for a good Heffenweizen recipe for a 5.5g batch single infusion mash. I know there are a few on the recipe database, but I was hoping if any of you guys can recommend a recipe that you have already tried. I was thinking a strawberry Heff with a mild fruit flavor.
Thoughts?

:tank:

Pretty standard:

6lb German Wheat Malt
6lb Pilsner Malt
Single infusion at 152F.

Target 15 IBUs with one 60 minute addition of a nice German aroma hop (or close relative).

WLP300 or Wyeast 3068, ferment around 64F.

I did this one a few weeks back, killer beer. Two weeks grain to glass.

I'm brewing my Summer Citrus Wheat a third time, due to the overwhelming responses...people love it! It is more of an american wheat than a Hefeweizen, but you could change the yeast to WLP300 or Wyeast equivalent and have a certifiable Hefe.

It definitely contains more hops than most wheats...but I find the Cascade citrus flavor goes well with the yeast and the small amount of dried orange peel. The first time I brewed it, I only used 1 oz. Cascades for 60m...and it left a little to be desired flavor-wise. The extra hop addition at 30 minutes contributes to the IBU and flavor, and the last addition just accentuates the orange peel.

Link to recipe

Back