Hefeweizen ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David20Hersch

Reaction score
I read that a Hefeweizen has quite a vigurous fermentation!

Would a 6.5 gallon bucket be able to contain 3.7 gallons of wort with a standard small airlock?! Could I make a bigger batch than 3.7??

I know that this style calls for the right type of yeast but would I destory it if I used an ale yeast instead. Would I still be able to create those banana cloves flavors!?

If you are trying to brew a Hefeweizen, you really need to use Hefeweizen yeast, otherwise its just a wheat beer. Those banana/clove flavors are a byproduct of the Hefeweizen yeast, not the malt or hops. You should have no problem fermenting 5 gallons of wort in a 6.5 gallon bucket. Buckets have more headspace than carboys, so it shouldn't be a big deal. If you really are worried about it being too vigorous, use a blowoff tube.

Don't brew less just because of active fermentation. Brew 5 gallons and fit a blowoff tube. Just use the main body of a three piece airlock and use a 1/2" inner diameter section of tubing on the opening and run that to a container (I use a gallon jug) with enough Star San to cover the end of the tubing. Hefeweizen yeast is very active, so you will need to do this to prevent the lid from blowing off.

I agree with what others have posted. If you want to make a particular beer style, get the ingredients needed (IOW, the right yeast). If you don't have the ingredients you need, make a different beer instead.

If in doubt, use a blowoff tube. I do six gallon batches in a 7.8 gallon fermentation bucket, and I've only ever needed a blowoff tube once, and that was with a 1.138 OG barley wine. What I'm saying is that you likely have enough head space that you won't need a blowoff tube, even with hefe yeast, but it won't hurt to add one just in case. Adding a blowoff tube DEFINITELY beats making less beer (or having a blowout)!

Missed the part about the yeast. Hefe yeast is an ale yeast, but be sure to use a traditional German hefe strain. White Labs 300 and Wyeast 3068 are the most common choices. White Labs 380 is really nice as well and gives a slightly different character.

Sorry! so new to this but what type of water profile goes with this style. Right now I only have access to water with a ph of 7. Don't want to try and make this beer but get an off tasting result

Back