Hefeweizen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SMOKEU

Reaction score
I've never had enough hefeweizen in one night to get drunk off, but if I brew my own and drink large quantities of it, will that yeast sediment ferment in my stomach and make me sick the next day?

if you're used to homebrew, it should be fine. just make one with a higher ABV so you don't have to drink a ton of them.

I've never had any problem. True, I've been drinking my own homebrew for almost a year but had no issues even back then. Go for it!

New guy who knows nothing second beer was brewers best Hefeweizen kit beer and it was very good. I had it judged just for curosity and it did well (especially for an extract). If you buy the kit add just a little more priming sugar and it will make it a heavy carb like a hefeweiz should be. Carefully though it does ferment like crazy mine blew up on the wall, should use a blow off tube.

I've never had enough hefeweizen in one night to get drunk off, but if I brew my own and drink large quantities of it, will that yeast sediment ferment in my stomach and make me sick the next day?

If you drink large quantities often enough you could throw off your natural balance and get a beer belly. I don't mean get fat, I mean get visibly bloated from the imbalance/overabundance of yeast in your system.

images

-OCD

If you drink large quantities often enough you could throw off your natural balance and get a beer belly. I don't mean get fat, I mean get visibly bloated from the imbalance/overabundance of yeast in your system.

Oh please, don't freak him out!

Not true, obviously. However, I did notice that after I started drinking homebrew my farts smelled funny... not Apfelwein fermenting funny... but seriously, like Hamburger Helper. No joke.

That went away though. And FWIW, I've had plenty of homebrewed hefe's in a row and nothing happens the next day except a hangover.

the acids in your stomach will probably kill most of the yeast anyways. I brew my Wizens at about 6.5% ABV, 2 tall boys is a great buzz.

Yeast is good for you. Eat your yeast.

Seriously, full of Vitamin B. Vitamin B is a preventative for hangovers (prevents dehydration, which is one cause of hangovers after drinking).

When I pour one of my homebrews into a glass, I always chug the yeasty bottom 1/2".

Yeast is good for you. Eat your yeast.

Seriously, full of Vitamin B. Vitamin B is a preventative for hangovers (prevents dehydration, which is one cause of hangovers after drinking).

When I pour one of my homebrews into a glass, I always chug the yeasty bottom 1/2".

no wonder I havent gotten a hangover from my own brews. Except with apfelwein. I accidentally underestimated the power of that **** on night.

Back