Hefeweizen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

woollybugger2

Reaction score
Just tested my first bottle of Hefeweizen, it's been in the bottle for a week, good carbonation, but I'm sure it'll get better in another week or two @ 68* I poured it slowly and was surprised how clear the beer was. It didn't have any yeast haze to it at all.

I dumped the rest of the bottle into the glass and now have the traditional hefeweizen cloudiness.

I thought that hefe's were suppose to remain cloudy and not settle out like mine has...

8 days in the primary
8 days in the seconday.
3 week in the bottle before the fishing trip ;)

it's very drinkable, but has a disappointing 3.8 ~ 4.0% ABV was hoping for 4.8 but low og due to inefficient grain (mini-mash) procedure.

Not to worry thought I think that all 24 bombers will be consumed without complaint from my fishing buddies.....

This board has helped me tremendously! Kudos to all of you *expert* homebrewers!

--------------------

Bottled: Belgian Tripel, Hefeweizen
Secondary: Brown Ale
Primary: Empty
On Deck: Belgian Tripel, Smoked Porter

grammatron

Reaction score
I think they still settle out a good bit, you're just encouraged to pour the yeast into the glass, whereas w/ other brews you're not. Even commercial hefes recommend pouring most, then swirling the rest to kick up the yeast before pouring it in.

McKBrew

Reaction score
One thing that would have helped is not using a secondary for the hefe. It's not necessary and allows more yeast to settle. Swirling the bottle helps and a recent technique (at least that I've heard of) is to add a small amount of regular flour to a beer to keep it cloudy.

OP
W

woollybugger2

Reaction score
That hefe was sooo good that I just had to try another. Is it wrong to enjoy your homebrew at 68*??? I find them to be very delightful and flavorful and very drinkable at this temperature.

Poured slowly!

Swirled gently and poured with gusto!

syd138

Reaction score
I poured it slowly and was surprised how clear the beer was. It didn't have any yeast haze to it at all.

I dumped the rest of the bottle into the glass and now have the traditional hefeweizen cloudiness.
What they do in Germany/Austria is to roll the bottle a bit, turn the bottle completely vertical and pour it in.

OP
W

woollybugger2

Reaction score
What they do in Germany/Austria is to roll the bottle a bit, turn the bottle completely vertical and pour it in.
yeah, I've seen that done with Hoegarden! Prost....but hard to do with a bomber bottle and a pint glass

This beer is, btw, most excellent, if I do say so myself!