Hefeweizen with Cascade or Willamette?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drummerguy

Reaction score
Is it possible to brew a hefeweizen using one (or both) of these kinds of hops? Due to an issue during the shipping of my first kit, I ended up with an extra ounce of each. I don't want them to go to waste, but I don't want to just brew another American wheat beer. I figured I could just buy some extract and yeast, and see what happens. I know they probably aren't ideal, but would the final product be vastly different from a typical hefe?

Also, can recipes for a five-gallon batch be downsized to a one-gallon batch? I would like to try brewing different types of beer, but I would prefer to experiment with smaller batches.

Can you brew a Hef with those? Absolutely.

Will it be perfectly to style? I don't know.

Award winning? Maybe - again, I'm not sure.

Will it probably be pretty good even if not "to style"? Yeah, probably. But there's only one way to know for sure. :)

And yes, just divide everything by 5. Also remember to use a yeast calculator to make sure you pitch correct amounts of yeast.

Thanks for the information. I know it won't be a "traditional" hefe, but I'm okay with that. And if it turns out poorly, I'll know what to avoid doing in the future.

The ingredients you have listed all came in my American Wheat extract kit from NB....I have 10 gallons of my blue moon clone fermenting right now...so in short your answer is yes. Mine is just about finished...and is real close to blue moon...just a bit more hoppy which I am cool with!:tank:

Back