HefeWeizen/Wit with pale LME?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

diS

Reaction score
I am planing to try partial mash for 1st time, and brew Hefeweizen or Wit.

Since I cant buy wheat extract in my country, I am considering to use pale LME (2-row) with wheat (3-4 EBC) and Brupaks german pilsner (2.5 EBC) malt.
I already have Hallertauer Mittlefruh hops and I"m gonna buy Safbrew WB-06 or WLP-300/400 (if I finish my stirplate).

What do you guys think about this..?

Does anyone try to make hefeweizen/wit with non-wheat LME?
Any recipe would be extremely helpful.

I don't have a recipe, but wheat extract is only about 50% wheat to begin with. So I think you could start with pale LME and then add wheat for the mini-mash part. Unless you're using malted wheat, you need some base malt in the partial mash as well (I think).

So maybe the key is not to use too much extract. That part will have no wheat and the grain part will only be partly wheat.

1st of all thanks for reply.

I don't have a recipe, but wheat extract is only about 50% wheat to begin with

I am not sure what you mean by this.
That wheat extract is made 50% from wheat and rest from barley, or that we should add another 50% of wheat malt by mashing?

Unless you're using malted wheat, you need some base malt in the partial mash as well (I think).

I will use malted wheat, my though was to use 50-60% of Wheat malt and for rest add Pilsner, or maybe Munich..

Also, I have wheat flakes at home (not malted) and considering to use them too..
I searched forum and found that they dont need to be crushed, but I cant found how much (in % of total amount of malts for mashing) of flakes to add?

Wheat extract is made from about 50% wheat and 50% 2 row or something like that. So a wheat beer won't be all wheat. You can use pale LME and add mostly wheat from the mash part. But you might want the mash part to use more malted wheat than malted barley grains to make up for the fact that you don't have wheat extract (I.e., to stay close to 50/50 overall).

I really don't know about wheat flakes. Another issue is, are you using a bag for the mash or do you have a more traditional system? If the latter, you'll want to use rice hulls.

That is what I am worrying about, I have cooler (7 gal) with copper manifold and without rice hulls I may get stuck sparge (not to mention too much dead space in MLT).
Maybe its best to go with BIAB, or make some kind of cover from styrofoam to prevent heat loss and hope that stuck wont happen.

If I am going to buy rice hulls I have to find shop that sells in smaller amounts than 1 lb, since shipping is killing me (~$30 for 1 lb).

Back