Hefeweizen tastes like burnt rubber hose

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave Richkas

Reaction score
After a couple weeks bottle aging our Blood Orange Flavored Hefe tastes like a burnt rubber hose. German Wheat, German two-row barley, Hallertau bittering hops. Used OYL-021 Yeast. Bottled with 4oz blood orange extract flavoring. What did we do wrong?

Last edited:
Hops pellets can (but rarely) become burnt during pelletisation. I've had it once with a packet of Nelson Sauvin that tasted just like you describe. Do you have any more of the pellets? What do they smell like?

Sounds like what some describe as the “medicinal” off-flavor, often describes as band-aid, smoke, and spicy clove. The latter is common in a hefe to some degree, but burnt rubber means you likely had some chlorine or chloramine present in the water, and/or your mashing/sparging procedure had improper water pH, improper water amounts, or times at rest. Iodine based sanitizer might also cause clorophenols (the source of the burnt rubber perception).

Hops pellets can (but rarely) become burnt during pelletisation. I've had it once with a packet of Nelson Sauvin that tasted just like you describe. Do you have any more of the pellets? What do they smell like?
Thanks. The hops smelt great as always - no burnt smell.

Flavourings interact with hefe yeasts in strange ways, so this could be the issue. Did the beer taste OK going into bottles?
I kept it at roughly an oz per gallon. But I have to say it tasted fine going into fermentation. I assume the yeast was ok.

I wish I could help, but I’ve never encountered an off flavor that tasted like burnt rubber.

What was the batch size? Could you have used too much orange extract, perhaps?
Was around 4 gallons going into ferm. Extract was an Oz per gal. I’ll let it sit another week or two and see if the off flavor changes.

I kept it at roughly an oz per gallon. But I have to say it tasted fine going into fermentation. I assume the yeast was ok.

If it tasted good at bottling, you'd have to assume it's a yeast/flavouring thing. Autolysis does taste a bit like burnt rubber, but is very unlikely to happen after 2 weeks in bottles. It would only potentially happen if there was a huge amount of yeasty trub transferred over. Contamination/infection is also unlikely to take hold in 2 weeks unless there was a big source of contaminants (eg. visibly manky bottles). Water and hop issues would have been noticeable before bottling. So would scorching/brew day issues.

Sounds like what some describe as the “medicinal” off-flavor, often describes as band-aid, smoke, and spicy clove. The latter is common in a hefe to some degree, but burnt rubber means you likely had some chlorine or chloramine present in the water, and/or your mashing/sparging procedure had improper water pH, improper water amounts, or times at rest. Iodine based sanitizer might also cause clorophenols (the source of the burnt rubber perception).

+ 1 on chloramine if it tastes medicinal or like plastic. Were you using tap water?

Last edited:
What was your fermentation temperature? And did the wort get chilled sufficiently before going in the fermenter? If it was too hot going in, might have killed off some of the yeast which will also cause the medicinal/bandaid/rubber flavor.

Back