Hefeweizen recipee

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cavman22

Reaction score
Hello,

I got a hefewiezen kit from my local brew shop. It has the following ingredients:

6 lbs wheat LME
1 oz hallertau 60min

I pack of wyeast 3068

I was planning on splitting the LME and boiling 3lbs for 60 min and 3lbs at flameout for a lighter color. I believe the kit calls for boiling all 6 pounds for 60 min. Will this mess the IBU's up a lot? My boil will start with 3gal and I will top off with about 2.5.

Sorry for the dumb question, I just know these hefe's are sensitive to IBU's.

I don't know squat about IBU's since 1) I'm a total rookie, and 2) I avoid bitter beer like IPA and most pale ales at all costs, which is one of the reasons I like hefe... real Bavarian-style hefe, with the German yeast. I can, however, offer a comment on my first batch of hefe which is now 10-days in the primary. My recipe had 6# of wheat LME also, which was very dark caramel brown in the container. When I filled my primary carboy to the 5-gallon mark, I was a little concerned about how dark it was. After 5 days or so it began to lighten and I could smell that wonderful hefe smell coming through the airlock. At about 8 days much of the sediment had settled and it had lightened up considerably to the point where it will probably be typical hefe color in a glass. I plan to rack to a secondary just to clear it up a little; I'd prefer "slightly cloudy" to "sediment soup". Just my 2 cents on color. Good luck with yours!

No it won't mess with the IBU's much if any. Seems like you could use 1/2lb of Carapils or something for steeping grains. I'd actually use a little less LME at 60 minutes, maybe only 1 or 2 lbs instead of 3.

A really good hefe can actually handle a decent amount of hops. One thing i have done was added an aroma hop whith an AA of 14. something and the flavor was amazing. My inlaws said it was delicious(they are from germany). So i personaly dont belive that adding all of the hops at 60 min will mess with your IBU's. Although you could always split the hops just like you LME half and half.

The fun of homebrewing is its your choice, not mine or his.

He was more worried about if splitting the LME additions would affect the IBU. I don't believe that it will have much of a noticeable effect at all. The color from doing a split with the malt is supposed to be lighter but I can't tell you how much. One thing I have learned from homebrewing is to not get caught up on color. Flavor and aroma are far more important than color.

Back