Hefeweizen recipe changes needed?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cimerian

Reaction score
I want to brew just a basic Hefeweizen this weekend and since they do not have a kit at the local brew store I finally get to do my own from just ingredients. I found this basic recipe but some issues.

8.5 lbs Wheat LME
1oz hallertau hops
Wyeast

OG 1.050 FG 1.012

Boil 90min

First if I can't get 8.5 lbs of LME can I sub wheat DME? Second, 90 min boil? Why so long? Shouldn't a 60 min boil be fine. Third, this looks way to easy is it missing something?

1 lb grain = .75 lb LME = .6 lb DME. Plug in your numbers as applicable.

I don't know why you'd want to boil for 90min using extract. 60min would be fine.

28.349 grams of hops is probably okay, but I would round up to an even 30 grams.

I think it'll make a fine beer, if fermented properly. I prefer the low 60's (*F) for my hefe's.

Personally, I would use DME for a Heffe any day over LME. LME makes Heffe too dark and depending whats in the LME can give some funky, unexpected flavors.

I have read that low temp Hefes tend to be bananay while a higher fermentation temp tends to be more citrusy. I would much prefer citrus over banana. I really do not like bananas. I'll bring the boil time down to 60 min and forget using LME and just use DME. I guess for the hops I will just get the closest he has to 1 oz of the hallertau. I won't worry if it's just a tad more. I was actually reading some people do not even hop a hefeweizen.

Cimerian said:
I have read that low temp Hefes tend to be bananay while a higher fermentation temp tends to be more citrusy. I would much prefer citrus over banana. I really do not like bananas. I'll bring the boil time down to 60 min and forget using LME and just use DME. I guess for the hops I will just get the closest he has to 1 oz of the hallertau. I won't worry if it's just a tad more. I was actually reading some people do not even hop a hefeweizen.

Not really. Low pitch rate and high temp will give you more esters than a low temp. Low temp will give you less banana and clove.

I like 1 oz of hallertaur for a hefe. You wont taste bitterness, it just balances it out.

Back