Hefeweizen Questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wiggleplum

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Hopefully I am posting in the right section. I picked up a Hefeweizen extract kit from Northern Brewer, and have been drinking them over the last few days and have a few questions. I am probably wrong here, but isn't a hefeweizen supposed to be cloudy, no matter how long it has been sitting? Fermented for 12 days, gravity was stable so I bottled. After being in bottles for a bit over a week they are completely carbed. When I pour it into a glass, and before I swirl the yeast and dump it in, the beer is absolutely crystal clear and has no flavor at all. Adding the yeast brings some clove and banana, but that seems to be fading drastically by the day. I followed the kit directions, and opted for the Wyeast 3068. If I was to buy another kit, would steeping grains help at all? I am about to start looking around and see what I can find as far as hefeweizen recipes here on the forum.

Thanks in advance

3068 flavor depends almost entirely on pitch rate and proper fermentation temperature. There are heaps of opinions floating around about what to do (underpitch/high temp/etc.) But I have found that the best results come from Jamil Zianasheff's recipe, which is pretty similar to Northern Brewer's. The key is:

1.3 L starter, 62 degree F ferment temp.

Do you remember what your temp/pitch rate was?

EDIT: Here's Jamil's recipe. It is one of my absolute favorites. The extract recipe is toward the bottom.
http://byo.com/brown-ale/item/2265-german-hefeweizen-style-profile

3068 flavor depends almost entirely on pitch rate and proper fermentation temperature. There are heaps of opinions floating around about what to do (underpitch/high temp/etc.) But I have found that the best results come from Jamil Zianasheff's recipe, which is pretty similar to Northern Brewer's. The key is:

1.3 L starter, 62 degree F ferment temp.

Do you remember what your temp/pitch rate was?

EDIT: Here's Jamil's recipe. It is one of my absolute favorites. The extract recipe is toward the bottom.
http://byo.com/brown-ale/item/2265-german-hefeweizen-style-profile

Thanks for the reply, I will check out the recipe. I pitched the yeast at 70~, and kept the water bath temp between 65-67 the whole time.

I also assure a cloudy Hefe by leaving some flaked wheat in the boil pot instead of straining it all out. You only need an ounce or two for a 5 gallon batch and you will get a cloudy Hefe.

Back