Hefeweizen Questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ErieShores

Reaction score
I have recently brewed a hefe batch using Wyeast 3060. It was in the primary for 14 days and bottled conditioned for two weeks. I have read that,
A) Hefeweizens are best drank young. But how young is young and what is too old?
B) How much of the yeast sitting in the bottom of my bottle do I want in my glass? I was told you want to expel as much into the glass as possible but that seems to go against all hombrew pouring principles.
I'm hoping someone can shed some light on my questions.

A) it might not be carbonated yet. Try a bottle.
B) With Hefes, you traditionally our in the yeast

If it was my hefe I would pour the yeast in, every little bit of it. I actually shake my kegs of bavarian hef to resuspend the yeast that settles out after 2-4 weeks in the keg.

if it is carbed up correctly start drinking it! I give my kegs a jostle to re-suspend the yeast before pouring if it has sat a while. from bottles I pour most of the beer into the glass, and swirl the remaining beer to get the yeast into suspension and pour it on into the glass and enjoy! :mug:

Thank you a big thumbs up to all who responded! I had one this evening and it was definitely carbed. The smell wasn't the greatest, almost like wet earth but it tasted great!

How young is young? 10 days. How old is old? 6 weeks.

Hefeweizen literally means the yeast has been added. If you don't add it you are drinking a weissbier or, if it is clear, a kristal weiss.

How young is young? 10 days. How old is old? 6 weeks.

Hefeweizen literally means the yeast has been added. If you don't add it you are drinking a weissbier or, if it is clear, a kristal weiss.

6 weeks is too old? Should I expect off flavors when it becomes too mature?

I had a hefe kegged for about 2.5 months, it lost a bit of the brightness that a fresh hefe has. so other than the beer flavors getting a little more mellow, it was still great!

Back