Hefeweizen - low krausen?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kush

Reaction score
I started my hefeweizen on the 20th (yesterday) and it seemed it got a slow start I guess. The photo below is after like 27 hours. Is this too low of a krausen? Should it be larger? Should I be worried?

DSC_0014.JPG

relax, shold be fine, if your fermenting at too cool of a temperature ( I know its cool here in Texas right now) It might slow fermentation down, but you look fine. RDWHAHB!:mug:

a few questions: how much yeast did you pitch? what method did you use to aerate it? what was the gravity of the beer?

that's a nice fermentation you have going there. i wouldn't be concerned.

^^ Answer to questions:

1. Whole vial of white labs bavarian yeast.
2. Took it out of the fridge, let it warm to room temp, then shook it. When it was time to pour the wort in the primary I poured the yeast and bru vigor first then the wort. After topping off, I picked up the primary and swirled it. I wasnt sure if I aerated it well enough.

Oh and I have it fermenting at 66-67 degrees F.

1. even with my hefeweizens, i rarely get a huge krausen unless i make a starter
2. if you topped off with tap water or bottled water, it will give your beer some oxygen. if it was all boiled then there was very little oxygen in there and the yeast didn't reproduce as much as they could (i would not recommend using tap water unless you know its good stuff.) it also means you might have had a longer lag.
3. they'd probably be going crazier if you were at a higher temperature BUT that is a fantastic temp for a weizen. i keep mine in the mid to low 60s.

you are good to go, man!

:mug:

Your brew looks a little dark for the style but other then that I say your making a good Hefe.

Back